160 miles on a packet of digestives and two lollies !

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I've got my first MTB marathon this Sunday so I've been reading the threads about, drinks, foods, energy gels, carb loading and diet.

I decided to ring my uncle who's 73 and ask his advice, he's never held a driving licence and cycled everywhere. He's still at it on race bikes he had made just for him years ago and which he treats with absolute love.

Jelly babies, bananas and water was his advice although he did say 26miles would be a doddle and that really it was such a short distance I wouldn't really need to consider anything other than a pasty before I set off.

He then went on to tell me about a 160 mile trial he did a few years ago eating nothing but a packet of digestive biscuits, some water and a couple of lollies.

I feel rather pathetic now considering energy drinks, gels and the like.

In honour of my uncle i might just have a cheese and onion pasty and some Hob Nobs, can't help feeling that they built 'em tougher back then.
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    26 miles on road is a lot easier than 26 miles in the dirt.
  • Big Red S wrote:
    26 miles on road is a lot easier than 26 miles in the dirt.

Also depends what dirt..and if it's all downhill, uphill or flat.
    Kona Kula
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    Yeah, but 160 mile on a packet of biscuits, you got to give the old timer that, i salute you sir.
  • I have been looking at this as I have been mixing up my off roading with some distance stuff to lose the tub round the middle.

I find the Lucozade energy drinks are good and taste nice when watered down a bit.

I bought some whey protein powder for before and after to aid recovery but that tastes rough but is meant to help build the muscle.

Just plenty of liquids and I find wine gums help too.

Props to the old guy for 160 miles on digestives and lollies - big question is where they chocolate digestives? surely that would make all the difference ;)
    SuperSimon12