Nutritional value of rice????

Tranced
Tranced Posts: 165
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Always found a pizza or pasta dish good source of ride energy (carbs).
What's the nutritional value of rice e.g. risotto?
Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!

Comments

• well rice and risotto are two very different things really. Lots more fat and protein in risotto than rice, usually.
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    There are differences with white & wholemeal rice aswell. Wholemeal has more protein, fat & fibre, and for whatever vit & minerals white has, brown has more.
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    Here's the question another way: 3 dishes.... values per 100g
    I'm not a nutritionalist so I'm asking the question based on what it says on the box. (For this exercise, never mind what the foods are etc.)
    Let's just focus on the basic info that every Joe Soap sees on the back of the package. For the sake of the exercise as well, take concern about weight gain out of the equation.

Energy 726g 173 kcal
    Protein 11.4g
    Carbs 13.7g
    Fat 8.1g

Energy 588g 133 kcal
    Protein 2.7g
    Carbs 17.6g
    Fat 5.8g

Energy 639g 152 kcal
    Protein 7.6g
    Carbs 14.8g
    Fat 7.0g

Which (and why) would you choose for:
    A: Long distance fitness ride/ black top... stamina.
    B: Short, but power ride.... steep hill climbs for short burst DH's.
    C: Medium pased 30mile XC single track ride... bit of everything.

Try answering as follows:
    1: A, B or C
    2: A, B or C
    3: A, B or C

That way I can easily complile an overall answer to feedback in a week or two.
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • If your looking for endurance foods then there is nothing simpler than lots of veg (carbs)and protein. Carbs should be kept moderate. Rice is ok but stick to brown as its got a lower GI than white. Same with pasta, brown ...tastes nicer too :D

All depends on what your trying to achieve though, if its muscle then protein is key, if its energy then veg all the way only supplemented with carbs.

If your going for a long treck then just before a bowl of rice krispies and carry jelly babies for easily digested and quick release energy on the move.
    Live Each Day
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    best place to find information on different food types is:

http://www.fitnessuncovered.co.uk/new-meal-plan.php

I plan loads of meals and it gives all the nutritional value of each ingredient.
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    Rice Crispies & jelly babies for a long trek? Yeah right! I'm not one for energy gels or red bull, but I'm sure I'd need some if I followed that advice.