Back pain advice

shaven1
shaven1 Posts: 3
edited November 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I have mid back pain just left of the spine (muscular). Originally the pain was in my knee/ITB but root cause seems to be my back. My physio thinks I might have stressed/pulled one of my ribs away from where it fixes into the back bone. He's manipulated my back and it went back to how it should be. I have one collapsed arch (left) and one 'normal' one (right). I now have an arch support in my left shoe. I ride to work everyday (12miles round trip) and country most weekends for about 1/2 hours.

Things I've tried:
I've been to Physio and it is steadily getting better but ~3 years now.
Stretches every morning provided by Physio (back, ITB, hamstrings, calves)
Higher cadence riding 'souplesse' - (80 - 90s)
Slowing down.
Reducing stem (so not as stretched).
Changed saddle for something with more gel.

It doesn't stop me riding but it does reduce my endurance and competiveness when racing. My Physio thinks that at my age (33) even if injured I should make a full recovery and I am optimistic but it's taking so long. It feels like someone's poking you with a stick in your back all the time, really annoying and aches. :(

Has anyone had anything similar? Anymore ideas that might help resolve it?

Thanks

Comments

• Have you tried taking a break from cycling for a few weeks? You may just be making the injury worse at the moment.
    Kona Kula
  • nmarchini
    nmarchini Posts: 109
    Mate, i';ve had very similar problems. Footbeds in both shoes and lower and mid back problems. I used to go the chiropractor lots to get it corrected but no one was addressing the root cause. I've got it sorted now. Say an article in cycling weekly last jan and started seeing a Postural Alignment therapist and to be honest it's the best thing i've ever done.

Check out the following links and feel free to contact me if you need more info.

http://www.musclebalancefunction.com
    and
    http://www.egoscue.com/

Original Article
    http://www.musclebalancefunction.com/cycling.pdf

Follow up article on me!! :D

http://www.marchini.co.uk/CW25thSeptbbackpain.pdf

I've been seeing a lady for this in Windsor but she is normally based in Kent. I'm sure she can put you in touch with someone in you area who can help.
    Bikes - '97 GT Psyclone, '94 Kona Condercone, '05 Rock Lobster Team TIG SL.
  • Kona Kula - taking a break from cycling; I have considered it but honestly I don't feel the amount of effort I'm putting in is above average. It's sound advice but I know there's something wrong with me and it needs fixing or replacing.

Monkey - Thanks for info, top advice and links I'll take a look.

I went back to my Physio today and here's the gen. Previously he's 'popped' one of my rib facets back in place (sounds worse than it is). This fixed the ITB pain I was feeling and realigned my gait. However the muscles around the rib facet have become tight and full of lactic acid and when cycling they become sore very quickly. So today I've had a little ultra sound, back and neck massage followed by a quick shot of back and neck manipulation. What's really important is that my upper body strength is weak and I have to concentrate on strengthening this area to keep everything in place. I've been advised to use an old inner tube looped around a door handle or banister and exercise a rowing action. Also to stand side on and stretch the inner tube outwards from my stomach by 90 degrees. This will strengthen the upper back muscles. Lastly to stretch over a beanbag or Swiss ball to stretch the upper back, backwards. I have to make every effort to really stand-up straight from now on as well.

If your lady can recommend a Postural Alignment therapist near Norwich that would be great to have as back-up (get it, right that's funny, mental note - get out more).

Thanks for comments, appreciated!

The ShaveN one.
  • nmarchini
    nmarchini Posts: 109
    HI, i've emailed her to she is she can recommend someone. I'll let you know what she says.
  • Decor8
    Decor8 Posts: 11
    :o Hi, I think that I've been suffering the same types of pain!!!!
    Please tell me if this is how it feels.
    Mid right hand side of spine is very painful. This pain gets alot worse of a night time, say from 2am onwards. Sometimes they can be a dull pain when other times it can be as if someone is stabbing up and it doesnt matter how you lay or stand, the pain does not go away. I have been suffering these pains now for about a year. My GP has sent me for blood tests, spine X-rays, CT scans the lot and nothing has shown up. I have stopped riding my bike for about a month and Im gagging to get back in the saddle.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I have a slightly dodgy back myself but have found the best thing for it's general health was indoor rock climbing because it really stretches and straightens the back after a week sitting at a desk. For a specific niggling foot injury I once used acupuncture which had a remarkable and immediate effect - acupuncture can sometimes "free" things up. Pilates is supposed to be excellent for strengthening backs. Obviously a bike should fit properly, not stretched out, saddle not too high or too low, firm saddle supporting pelvic bones properly, saddle tipped down at nose slightly, can all help.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Decor8 wrote:
    :o Hi, I think that I've been suffering the same types of pain!!!!
    Please tell me if this is how it feels.
    Mid right hand side of spine is very painful. This pain gets alot worse of a night time, say from 2am onwards. Sometimes they can be a dull pain when other times it can be as if someone is stabbing up and it doesnt matter how you lay or stand, the pain does not go away. I have been suffering these pains now for about a year. My GP has sent me for blood tests, spine X-rays, CT scans the lot and nothing has shown up. I have stopped riding my bike for about a month and Im gagging to get back in the saddle.

If you are lucky enough to have medical insurance with your job then go and see a chiropractor or an osteopath to get the pain relieved in the short term , longer term you will need someone to like a physio or postural therapist to find the root cause. A good one that can work with your type of exercise will sort you out. I hated the time off my bike with back pain and am so glad I can ride again. I had to swallow the cost of my chiro and now thanks to the tretment I don't go any more and am pain free.
  • Decor8
    :D Cheers for you comments. I'm going to get back in contact with my GP today and tell him that I think the problem my well be with my ribs not connecting with my spine that well. Last night I remembered that when I had a problem some years ago my chiropractor did say something about an old injurery around this area due to a car accident. Fingers crossed he can get something sorted as I really want to ride on the Evans Cycle day on the December the 3rd.

Once again, many thanks
  • If there is a modified pilates group in your area it may be worth a try. Ideally one which is run by a physio so you can alert them to your problem & avoid any excercises on the higher levels that may aggrievate your injury. It may not be a quick fix solution as muscle strengthing & lengthing can take a number of months so stick with it & good luck!
  • Decor8 wrote:
    some years ago my chiropractor did say something about an old injurery around this area due to a car accident.

That area has prob weakened over time if you have only been cyclnig and not doing other types of exercise, you could be getting referal pain from the surrounding muscles that are picking up the slack around the damaged area

Hope you get it sorted out. 8)
  • Decor8
    :shock: EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Called my GP. He told me that I should go private to a Physiotherapists which I have done this morning. At last there is light at the end of the tunnel. Straight away he told me that my posture is telling him that the pain is in the right side of my back. :D He stretched the muscles and told me to do some special stretches 3 times a day and before I go out for a ride. For over a year my GP has been going down the wrong route.
    Im so pleased that its finally getting sorted.
    If any of you guys are around Kent then I'd recommend Stuart Hide. If you would like his number please send me an e-mail.
  • Good to hear things are looking up.

Ask your physio if it's ok to do the stretches before AND after the ride. Stretching before exercise (When the muscles are cold and stiff) does have some effect but not as much as when they are nice and warm and stretchy!!!

Good luck