race or sportive?

jmeadows
jmeadows Posts: 335
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
would the difference in geo' make a lot of difference to a beginner? i realise the sport is suppose to be more comfortable and absorbs the road more but for a beginner wishing to do lejog and other charity type rides am i really best getting a sportive bike? is the race bike so much more uncomfortable on loger rides? :?
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I would recomend a sportive bike if you over 50 or have back trouble otherwise get a race bike.
    The sport bike will be easyer to ride as the steering will be a bit lazyer but the rase bike will be faster and in my eyes thats what road bikes are for
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Unless you want a really low tight position ideally for racing then you should always look for comfort, go to a number of LBS's and get their views try a number of different models and get a feel for what you like in the price range you want only then will you know what's right for you, remember lejog/sportives will usually require you spending 6 hrs in a saddle
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The clue is in the name. If you are going to RACE, then a RACING bike would be best. If not.....
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."