Campagnolo

bikesdontfloat
bikesdontfloat Posts: 200
edited October 2008 in Campaign
11 speed?????????

Surely there are bigger design flaws left to tackle for the bicycle than the lack of a further gear at the back.

Have Campagnolo run out of ideas?
<hr noshade size="1">If BMWs are such good cars why do their drivers never trust their brakes as they approach an amber light?

Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    It's called progress.
    When i started riding,it was all six speed, then came ultra seven.
    when 10 speed was introduced (& nine speed before) many said it was excessive.
    Not many of us on ten speed,when reaching a lumpy section of a ride, think,oh dear,I've got far too many gears to choose from!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    11 speed?????????

Surely there are bigger design flaws left to tackle for the bicycle than the lack of a further gear at the back.

Have Campagnolo run out of ideas?

What have Shimano done for 2009, apart from doing something Campag and SRAM have been doing for years? I don't think Shimano have got any ideas either.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • 6-speeds, you Johnny-Come-Lately!
    5 speeds (Well, 10 with the "double clanger" and sometimes all 10 would be useable!)
    for me and a few on the club runs using Sturmey-Archer 3 speeds and the occaissional nutter on 66" fixed too!
    It's the law of diminishing returns, there's not a lot else doable with a bike, weights are probably as low as technology will permit reliably, brakes are as good as they'll get (Mafac centre-pulls anyone? :( ) , various clever handlebar shifters as against down-tube ones, various aerodynamic rim & spoke designs (Without excessive weight penalties).
    The only real changes would come with more esoteric & under current UCI regs, illegal designs.
    After all, recliners have been out there for years, but only a few "eccentrics" ride them.
    There'll be a rush by the "early adopters" for this kit, but most will carry on quite happily with our 7's & 8's!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Unless you are a racer needing to keep to a specific cadence, the main thing about any set of gears is the range between top and bottom. As long as the steps between them are reasonable, the absolute number of gears is not that important. What IS important is the effect of a large cassette on the rear wheel structure, requiring greater gear-side dishing, as well as narrower chains. These bring important structural implications.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205

What have Shimano done for 2009, apart from doing something Campag and SRAM have been doing for years? I don't think Shimano have got any ideas either.

Erm, EDA? Bit more than either SRAM or Campy have done with red or record this year...
  • redddraggon
    Parsnip49 wrote:

Erm, EDA?

Nothing new.........its been done before. Even though both the 11th sprocket and EDA are useless, I'd much prefer to have an extra gear ratio - I don't want to rely on battery power.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Parsnip49 wrote:

Erm, EDA?

Nothing new.........its been done before. Even though both the 11th sprocket and EDA are useless, I'd much prefer to have an extra gear ratio - I don't want to rely on battery power.

agreed.

However, I do believe that Shimano has done a lot in the commuter/comfort bike scene.

In the roadbike scene, I'd have to say it's SRAM and their double tap system which has got me thinking of buying a new gruppo. (10 speed and 11 speed aren't enough reason for me to ditch my 9 speed which still works fine)
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Parsnip49 wrote:

Erm, EDA?

Its been done before, but never with the proper weight behind it - the mavic system was destined to fail, with shimano R&D and pro riders behind it EDA is here to stay.

Useless?? Not at all, look at the walsers gerolsteiner were riding in the tour TTs - Shifting from both the aero bars and the bullhorns - far from useless - no other system can do this, worth at least a few seconds over a TT - both in the initial jump off the ramp and shifting while climbing.
  • redddraggon
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    Useless?? Not at all, look at the walsers gerolsteiner were riding in the tour TTs - Shifting from both the aero bars and the bullhorns - far from useless - no other system can do this, worth at least a few seconds over a TT - both in the initial jump off the ramp and shifting while climbing.

Yes, it's useless, the electronic bar end shifters are useless as I don't have a TT bike, afterall I was talking about what was useful to me.

At least Shimano have sorted their DA STIs out now, they are actually worth considering now, shame you have to go all the way to Dura Ace to avoid the pieces of crap they also call STIs.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FSA will be bringing out an 11 speed groupset next years and there's at least one other groupset being cooked-up somewhere. I'm not sure electronic shifters are the way forward for the masses - apart from the dual control for TT's, I'm not sure I want to rely on battery power and dodgy connectors. I actually like the technical development side of cycling because unlike many other sports, pro-level equipment is still relatively affordable - the bike I ride now in comparison to the first decent road bike I had 20 years ago is a revelation - the gears all work smoothly, the brakes work (not squeal loudly and nowt else), pedals and shoes are comfortable and reassuringly stiff and componentss last appreciably longer - I have a 1982 Gios to remind me of the good old days - the brakes are scary and the toeclips and straps purgatory.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    there's at least one other groupset being cooked-up somewhere.

Is that the SunRace one?

RBIT
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Camapg were once mighty and made good equipment. Now they're making equipment of questionable design. Their freehub and UT crank designs are poor. I also believe that the quality has taken a hit - Record hubs seemed to last far longer before C-Record came into being . My Record cranks (2002) had no polishing on the back of the cranks or spider. Using carbon in cranks and all those other inappropriate places is pretty stupid. Campag derailleurs used to have pulley wheels with ball bearings - as they realized the value of marketing they moved to bushes- a big step back in efficiency and performance.

Clipless pedals and indexing have made things better - these didn't come from Campag (who resisted both). Everything else is expensive hype. I must say that reading the small print on Campag warranties is amusing - seems if you take your bike out of the glass case all bets are off.