Cheshire Cat 2009

fluff.
fluff. Posts: 771
I guess I must of signed up to the mailing list

http://www.kilotogo.com/cheshire%20cat.html

Entries open nov.1st, no mention of price but last years was £27 (I think), so doubt you'll get much change from 30 quid. New this year is a 3rd length option and few more climbs on the longer route, including a cobbled one in Alderly Edge. I might do the 66 miles one, not sure I fancy a strenuous 100+ miler in March.

Oh the website now works in Firefox, still a bit iffy looking though.

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    fluff. wrote:
    including a cobbled one in Alderly Edge.

interesting! might recce that at the weekend.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t wrote:
    fluff. wrote:

I wouldn't if it's wet or there are leaves around. The longer option should be a real test in March particularly the new section through Danebridge and Macc Forest, not to mention Swiss Hill. Once ridden, never forgotten.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Looking forward to this - New route - by the looks of it, the 102 miler (103.21 miles) has got over 6000 ft of climbing - quick estimate 6037 ft - should be fun :) The first 40 miles are reasonably flat and then it becomes hilly between 40 and 85 miles approx, and finally a more relaxing time from 85 to 102 miles. Seems the website's working a bit better from the off this time.
  • thetrotter wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    fluff. wrote:

I wouldn't if it's wet or there are leaves around. The longer option should be a real test in March particularly the new section through Danebridge and Macc Forest, not to mention Swiss Hill. Once ridden, never forgotten.

Macclesfield forrest is a beautiful beautiful climb, last 1/4 of a mile is 15% according to the sign, but I think it's more than that... Swiss Hill is easy enough if dry, but in March I'm afraid you'll have to walk up there
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Hope they get the signage right this time - last year it was poor and spoilt the event - I'm not just talking about the ones near the end the farmer moved that led to lots of us just trying to find the quickest way back with no hope of getting back on course either I saw/met several people who had gone off course earlier than that.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Oh I do like that new route !

A lot of the old route down towards Beeston, across the bottom and then back from Congleton direction was simply the Cheshire Cycleroute and I said I'd never bother doing it, not pay £27 to ride roads I regularly do in Winter as flat LSD stuff.
    I did it this year, but only because a friend pulled-out and so I took over his entry, I wouldn't do it again.

But this new route is much better. Still the stuff down to Nantwich is flat roads I know (too) well, but then over the top from Biddulph to Rudyard should be eyeballs-out, the Wincle/Danebridge bit is gruesome, and then Macc Forest and Lamaload, followed by that stupendous drop down to Bollington if you're feeling brave.
    Good stuff. It'll be a lot tougher than the old route.

I don't like the B-road from Alderley Edge back to Knutsford though, not a pleasant road and always busy.

And still not enthusiastic about paying £27 !
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    I'm sorry they've changed the route. Last year's route seemed ideal for March.
  • a_n_t
    looks like the 66 miler has the climbs but alot less of the flat.........
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Hmm you're right, the 100 miler is just the 66 plus a pancake flat loop around Nantwich, there's an extra climb to Talke but otherwise the medium route has 90% of the climbing of the longer one, how odd.
  • I agree with the comments from thetrotter and ugo.santalucia....swiss hill is technical when its dry, but down right dangerous when its wet...I think if the weather is bad in march, there may be accidents; especially when you consider that they have sorter routes for less experienced riders
    Having said although that, i'm looking forward to it and think the new route is exciting
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • a_n_t
    well I never made it to swiss hill anyway, went out over holme moss, probably abit tougher than a few cobbles! :shock: :lol:

talking of which, anyone climbed gorsey brow in broadbottom? http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/905669

ouch!! steepest thing i've done round here, 400ft in 1/2 a mile :shock:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • cacbyname
    cacbyname Posts: 285
    I had vowed not to do it again next year but the new route is interesting so might be persuaded. Plus they've finally got the website to work in Firefox!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    fluff. wrote:
    Hmm you're right, the 100 miler is just the 66 plus a pancake flat loop around Nantwich, there's an extra climb to Talke but otherwise the medium route has 90% of the climbing of the longer one, how odd.

Yep - The 102 miler has 6037 ft approx - the 66 miler has 4850 ft approx (both briefly mapped out, so I could be a bit out??) - the 66 miler looks to have roughly 80 % climbing of the 102 miler - still a fair chunk though - given that most people will be doing at-least the 66 miler, looks like everyone's in for a hard ride come March.
  • a_n_t
    Mettan wrote:
    the 66 miler has 4850 ft approx

pah! my 60 miles today had 5385!! :lol:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6955615
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • cacbyname wrote:
    I had vowed not to do it again next year but the new route is interesting so might be persuaded. Plus they've finally got the website to work in Firefox!

New route gives a very different type of event than in previous years and will surpise a lot of people given that it takes in the hardest climbs in this part of the Peak District. Doubt that I will manage more than the 66 mile route :oops: Hope that you are well on the recovery trail. This is just the sort of event to welcome you back. :wink:
  • CbyC,
    Are you back on your bike?

some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    A few more hills may make it more interesting. Last years long route was 20 miles too long..found the first 50 miles pretty dull and flat. Enjoyed Mow Cop though which is certainly a brute.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    I'm delighted with the new route (and not least because the final feedstation is about 300 yards from house so Mrs skinsey can come out with any emergency supplies needed), as I think it'll perk the event up and catch a few people out who still think Cheshire's flat. The only problem is that more people will realise what great training territory it is!
  • Has anyone here registered for 2009 yet?!!!!
  • skinsey
    Yes. Needed to get registered for something in relatively early 2009 to keep me training through the winter.
  • I've not taken part in any kind of road event before, I live fairly local so I thought I'd give the 67 mile ride a go. I couldn't see the point of me doing the 100 mile route, the last thing I want to do is ride around the Crewe/Nantwich area for fun!!!!!

What kind of times do people think the routes should take?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I think I cycled on that road out of bollington towards pott shrigley/adlington the other day. My Garmin hit 28% on a short section of that road.

I'll be doing, it all being well - probably the 66 mile route.
  • skinsey
    Don't mean to be difficult, but your time's going to depend on how fit you are, amongst other things like weather, how long you linger at feedstops and so on. If it's your first road event, and you're not used to this distance, then with the hills you may only average 11-12 mph. I'm doing the 102 mile route, and given my likely fitness at that time of year, I'll hope to get round in maybe 6 hrs 30. Can't remember what my time was this year, but it's an entirely different course anyway.
  • i have already entered i am using it to make sure i keep my fitness up thru winter instead of being a couch commander! as for times etc i am hoping to do the 66 miler in around 4 hours based on other rides however i have never ridden in this area so no idea what to expect so this time may go well out the window! just lets hope the weather will be kind!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    £28???

ahahahahahahaaaa 13501381245.gif

yeah RIGHT
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten wrote:
    £28???

yeah RIGHT

Tight arse :wink:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Don't fancy the flat bit really - so might opt for 66 miles. Swiss Hill is going to be tricky after all the miles and it's blooming hard when wet.... Make sure there is no-one near you or hit the climb first if in a group.... anyone stops in front of you, you'll all stop...
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    the only hill with cobbles that I know of around here is the one that runs roughly parallel to artists lane (leads up to the wizard) - is that the one? I once walked down it -as I was too scared to cycle down (and that was a dry day).
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    vermooten wrote:
    £28???

yeah RIGHT

Well it is UCI accredited - whatever that means :)
  • a_n_t
    vermooten wrote:
    £28???

yeah RIGHT

:D is a bit much to ride on roads we ride on every week for free!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.