Dunoon/Ardentinny

woodywmb
woodywmb Posts: 669
edited October 2008 in MTB rides
Has anyone cycled on the paths above Ardentinny between Loch Long and Lock Eck? Did a road cycle there (with 1:5 hill) on Saturday and noticed openings to woodland from start to finish. The OS map shows lots of trails that don't link up which is odd because the RAC Lombard car rally takes place in that forest next month. Have emailed Forestry Commission for advice - but so far no reply.

Comments

• Most of the paths up there are just what I think you'd call fire roads. I walk my dog up there and have seen 3 cyclists in 3 years (none of them MTB's). OK for a walk but no excitement for riding.

The other side of Loch Eck might be more promising, the Glenbranter side. Some MTB'er's discussing their Lock Eck ride here:
    http://www.mountain-bike-scotland.com/m ... opic&t=174

Thread's a bit old, but doubt if the area's changed much since then.

I must admit I'm a bit nonplussed about the Lombard Rally. Seems a very odd place for them. As you say, most of the roads don't even join up.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and noticed your 1:5 hill. That's called the Larach and it's not something I'd want to cycle up! Did you go up it or down it?
  • woodywmb
    We cycled up the hill from Ardentinny to Lock Eck and down the main road back to Dunoon. We have done all the paths on the Harry Lauder estate including the Glen Massan one which disappears into Garrachra Glen. It was beautiful ... and eerie. We also did the Glenbranter to Glendaruel section of the Cowal Way. Getting back to the shoreline path on Loch Long, this twists and climbs just past Knap up towards Creachan Mor and comes to a stop (according to the Windows Live aerial picture) under electricity lines. To the right is a path meandering down towards a track going to Carrick Castle. The OS Landranger shows the path NOT stopping but doubling back towards Stronvochlan, meeting up again with the shoreline trail. It would be frustrating to cycle all the way round then granny gear up the climb only to find a turning point at the top for forestry jugernauts. That's my fear! Thanks for reply.
  • Woodywmb wrote:
    To the right is a path meandering down towards a track going to Carrick Castle. The OS Landranger shows the path NOT stopping but doubling back towards Stronvochlan, meeting up again with the shoreline trail. It would be frustrating to cycle all the way round then granny gear up the climb only to find a turning point at the top for forestry jugernauts. That's my fear! Thanks for reply.

The path to Carrick Castle from Ardentinny is something my husband and I keep meaning to walk (or, now that we have bikes, to cycle!). From Carrick Castle you could return via road from Lochgoilhead. Quite a long trip though, although you sound very experienced and fit (we aren't).

Or have I mis-understood?

BTW, I've found an e-mail to the Forestry usually very helpful for any queries regarding routes/paths. If they don't reply then send another one, although they've so far replied to mine fairly quickly.

EDIT: Ah, now I see what you mean. From the Forestry site:
    ....Leave forestry road at large boulder/white posts. Join track through woods descending to shore at Tol Nam Muc - Bay of the Pig. Then on to Ardnahein Farm - single track road to Carrick Castle

Maybe it's only suitable for walkers then? I'd definitely ask FSC.
  • woodywmb
    Hiya again. I haven't explained this too well. We intended cycling from Stronvochlan to Stronvochlan, along the shoreline path and up and round the side of the mountain, then back to the start. The OS map shows doubletrack in a full circle, meaning you just keep pedalling and end up where you started without retracing your path. However, the satellite picture of the forest shows a track running along the shore, climbing uphill then stopping in the middle of the trees. There is indeed a branch off to the right, half way up the mountain and running through the forest in the opposite direction to the Carrick Castle route. We weren't taking that route but going up and over the back, ie heading left rather than right.

Don't think I could manage going by road via Lochgoilhead! I shall send the original email to FC again. My appetite is now whetted for this challenge. Thanks.