tyre pressures?

trailblazer83
trailblazer83 Posts: 87
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
What do you guys run,

for trail i run, 35psi in the front and 45psi in the rear.

For road i run 50 psi in both

For HT downhill i run 35 psi in both

these were just playing so want to know what everyone else runs and what you suggest. im 12 stone and 5ft 9.

Comments

• batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Depends on the tyre and how you want it to feel, all around a similar pressure to me but I run 60psi on the road and rarely drop as low as 35psi.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    About 60-65PSi on the road, about 45-50PSi off road (if I'm riding TO an offroad area, I'll run the lower pressures).
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    A few months ago when I got my full susser coming from a rigid, I thought I'd try out if riding the new bike would make a difference to my tyre pressures.

I put 35psi into 2.35 minion on the rear and highroller on the front, previously I'd run 28psi on 2.1 tyres on both my old rigids.

I was surprised with the suspension that the tyres were so skittish, so I tried the same course several times with different pressures I was soon down to 28psi.

I've found that anything over 26psi in the front just looses the best traction on most loose surfaces, for the rear I'll go up to 28psi.

I recently spent 6 days around Edale and ran with 24psi in the back and 22psi in the front, it was rather wet.

Both tyres are kevlar so 20psi would be for these tyres I think as low as I would drop because they are a bit sloppy on the rims and will rotate ripping out the valve stems.

I weigh in full regalia 10stone 6lbs, that's with 2 litres of water in the pack.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I ride 2.25-2.35 tyres at 30-35psi. Grip is good at this pressure for my 12 and something stone.

On road I run my tyres at 120psi! Road bikes for the road.........
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I run 40 off road
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Summer I Run 40-50psi
    winter I Run 35-40 psi
  • With a winter tyre like a Trailraker or MudX is it better to run with slightly higher pressures so that the tyre doesn't flex so much and forces the high tread to dig in??

I can see the point in running lower pressures in higher volume tyres but with the skinny mud tyres (1.8-1.95) should you use 40PSI?
  • Hi,

Before you all make your mind up about what pressures to run ect, read this, after reading this I tried 26f/25r psi (2.25/tubes), not sure if it was simply a placebo but it certainly feels a lot faster off road with lower pressures.

Some of you all run really high pressures off road it seams. Its a good read too, factual and interesting. Recommend you all read it very topical, read it.

http://www.bicicletta.co.za/Downloadable%20Docs/Rolling%20Resistance%20Eng%20illustrated.pdf

Max
  • Maximoos. Thanks for posting that link, I am always interested in the science of riding a bike and what the fastest set up is. That article is very interesting. Now lets watch the masses rush out and buy 2.3's!!
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    One thing a lot of people are missing is the tyre size, pressure is very dependant on size, the larger the tyre the less pressure you need, so when you quote what pressure you run please also say what tyre size.

I use nobby nic 2.4's when tubed I ran them at 28psi, now I'm running tubeless I use 20psi. grip is extremely good and the only time I feel them dragging is on wet squidgy grass, apart from that they are v fast all round.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Interesting stuff here. I find that my Maxxis HRs are prone to snake bits much below 30psi (when I'm picking the lines :lol: ) - that's why I don't go lower than 30psi.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have 2.3" razors, but my rims are fairly narrow, xm719's, and i find that the tyre rolls a lot at low presures, is this normal and something I should persevere with or should I pump them up so they retain their shape more?
  • Depends, ^^

Ask yourself,
    - Do you like the feel?
    - Dose it make you faster?
    - Is it stable under braking?
    - Is it stable under cornering?

Personally i like a bike to have quite a bit over steer in slow sharp corners and have a bit more balance at high speed, i don’t like under steer at high speed. My tyres and pressures are the limiting factor in this, I like to go fastest, and to have fun doing so, knowing your are on the limet is the best way, lol. ( for me )*

The best way is to try different setups, (+/- pressures with different tyres back and front ect.) and see which one makes you faster overall, and then adapt your style to feel more confident with the bike setup, Confidence is the best thing I think, so much so you no how the bike is going to feel and control in set situations, before they happen
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Never been much for taking notice of pressures until recently, just used my thumb as a guage! :lol:

I had my Maxxis HR's on 40+psi over the weekend on some twisty/muddy singletrack and couldnt hold the bike at all, very skittish and low grip.

Dropped to around 30-35 and grip was way better in the corners.

Doesnt sound like theres a true answer, its simply a matter of feel and tweaking accordingly to suit your ride.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Does anyone know a pump with a reliable gauge, my track pump seems a bit iffy, pluged it into my roadie, which was bottoming out over bumps and it read 20psi, surely that would be like a pancake? So more reliable pump gauges anyone?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Does anyone know a pump with a reliable gauge, my track pump seems a bit iffy, pluged it into my roadie, which was bottoming out over bumps and it read 20psi, surely that would be like a pancake? So more reliable pump gauges anyone?

well as you had to equalize the pressures it does not sound crazy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown