Which frame size?

parklaneyido
parklaneyido Posts: 19
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I'm just wondering which frame size you can recommend I go for? I understand it's difficult to tell without seeing me etc. I am 6ft with an inside leg of roughly 31". I will more than likely be buying a Giant bike. I have been told by the place I'm buying it from that a Medium sized frame (50cm) will be perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Try and work out what the effective seat tube length is... measure from the centre of pedal spindle axle (i.e. centre of Bottom bracket shell) up to where the centre of the top tube would meet the seat tube (if it were horizontal).

If it's around 56-58cm, that's about right.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I'd guess that a medium is too small.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • parklaneyido
    parklaneyido Posts: 19
    edited October 2008
    I'd guess that a medium is too small.

That's what I was thinking. I thought the large (55.5cm) would be about right. But, apparently, If I got the large, there wouldn't be much flexibility in seat height as I'd need it at virtually the lowest point? I'm going to go down to my local bike shop later and get a feel for some frame sizes. I know not every manufacturer is the same, but I can get a rough idea eh..
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    I am 5'11" and ride a Giant SCR2 Large. Tried the medium and it felt a little too cramped, although I am right at the bottom of the height range for a L. My inside leg is longer than yours, which would imply my back is shorter! In which case a M may well be too small for you. But fit is very person-specific. Try both! If the bike shop won't do that for you try another bike shop.
  • ded wrote:
    I am 5'11" and ride a Giant SCR2 Large. Tried the medium and it felt a little too cramped, although I am right at the bottom of the height range for a L. My inside leg is longer than yours, which would imply my back is shorter! In which case a M may well be too small for you. But fit is very person-specific. Try both! If the bike shop won't do that for you try another bike shop.
    Thanks for that, I'm going to 'properly' measure my inside leg when I get home anyway... I may even be 30"
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm 5'7" (ish) and have 31" legs, so It'd suggest that you've got a really long body (comparatively) - Top tube length is the most important dimension.

To get an "off the peg" bike that will fit well will be difficult - I'd hope that your bike shop would be willing to swap stems for you, as I reckon you need a smaller than normal frame (for your height) but with a longer stem on it. However fit is very personal.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Im a shade over 6 foot and have a 58cm allez.
  • Went down the local bike shop earlier. I can already see that the 50cm frame is way too small. I tired a 58cm and I don't think I have a long enough upper body to be able to ride comfortably on a frame that size. I tried a few 54-56cm frames and I think that's going to be the one for me!!
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    edited October 2008
    sorry repost
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Parklane...as you know I have the SCR 1.5. I am 5'10" with around a 30" leg....I find the large (55.5cm) frame to be quite comfortable. I also have the saddle raised about 6 inches so that at the bottom of the stroke my leg is almost straight...I come up the back of the stroke a fraction before my knee should go straight and get locked out. I have no problems standing over the crossbar with my feet flat on the ground.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • I've just been properly measured up lol, and I will infact need a 58cm frame. I'm probably now going to go for a Trek 1.2D that my local evans has for a shade over £400
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Try being like me....long in the leg, but very short in the body. Only a total height o 5'3 tall, but my inside leg measues at 30" :shock:

So far only found one bike that fits right and that cost over £1000....so still searching :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    NGale wrote:
    Try being like me....long in the leg, but very short in the body. Only a total height o 5'3 tall, but my inside leg measues at 30" :shock:

So far only found one bike that fits right and that cost over £1000....so still searching :lol:

Is that a problem for a ladies bike? I'd have though that with the seat well up and possibly a shorter stem it wouldn't be too hard to find a bike?

For the record I'm 6'3" with a 35" inside leg, I'm at the other end of the spectrum but I actually have the same long leg, short body problem and have now got used to putting shorter stems on my bikes.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • heh i'm 6ft and between 34 and 35 inches so fairly long legged, or more correctly long limbed long arms etc.
  • Don't forget that the Giant is a compact, so the sizing is slightly confusingly different. On the Giant site there's a comparison chart which compares their sizing to conventional sizing. Might be worth a peek?

My friend on a Colnago C50 is 5ft 11 and rides a 54cm Colnago (as recommended by a pro) with 46cm wide handlebars and a 10cm stem. He has a 33 inch inside leg though so a short body. Perhaps a 55cm for you at 6ft with a 31 inch inside leg?

There is a very useful measurement tool on the competitive cyclist website.

Enjoy your bike :D