Rido Saddles for Circulation

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I was wondering if anyone has used the rido saddles ?

I have problem with my one foot going numb - I have fiddled with cleat adjustment - saddle height, pedal types, orthotics - I am now wondering if this is a circulation problem - the blurb re the rido saddle - seems more targeeted at numbness around your gonad area - but for £25 might be worth a go................any thoughts ?

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have seen the Rido 1 Saddle for £9 plus delivery so any experience from people would be great?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • I have a black Rido on my MTB and a blue one on my road bike. These are the original style.

All my other saddles give me numb nuts after a while. This is probably because they are too soft so I end up with pressure on my perineum. I also tried a mates bike with a serious racing saddle. Ouch. I was standing up and whinging every few miles.

The Rido seems to work for me. My sit bones, or some other lumps on my pelvis - cannot really figure it out 'cos they move about- sit reasonably well in the oval shaped soft bits (like a hammock) that you can see on the photos on the website. The saddle is firm enough for support but not rock hard. This means it keeps your bits above the nose of the saddle.

It took about 10 miles to get used to the saddle and find a nice position. The first time I tried it I was amazed by the sudden increase in speed compared to using a softer saddle. You may find that the saddle places you slightly closer to the handlebars and that more of your weight shifts forward to your arms. I suspect that I was actually sitting too far forward on the saddle. I am actually finding this out after 1500 miles!

It also works well with thinly padded shorts (or cut off jeans). I actually find that thickly padded shorts fill the gap between the nose of the saddle and my bits and can get uncomfortable.

At no point have I got off the bike with any residual pain or stiffness due to the saddle and at the moment I am only managing to get a 2 hr ride once a week.

I keep thinking that I should try a Charge Spoon to be more conventional.
    Then I go for a ride and think "why bother?"
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Good grief the R2 looks like it would come back to you if you gave it a throw, how can that be comfortable.

Hmmm interesting.
  • I bet it is comfortable but it actually looks worse than the R1 (personal opinion).
    Maybe it looks better in the flesh.

I would go for the pink R1 with the lilac skeleton. :wink:
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I have one of the original Rido saddles but it is currently in my garage not attached to a bike. I never really found a comfortable position on so took it off after a few weeks. It wasn't uncomfortable but I found that I was always moving around in search of a better position or a position where I didn't feel like I was about to slide off the front or back of the saddle.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • I have 2 of the original rido saddles, the black, and the green 'kids' dayglo saddle. I found the black to be very firm, too firm for me, but the kiddies is quite comfortable (it is actually recommended as an adult saddle too, for those who don't like the black). Basically the flex is in the chassis/frame. If you turned one upside down youd see a circle on each side/wing, of the saddle, and I assume this is where your bumbone is supposed to sit. It's quite a small circle and if your bumbones can't find this target area comfortably then it wont be a comfortable ride, as the plastic of the framework is a lot harder than the top covering of the material. It's actually not the ideal size for me, as my bones only just sit inside this sweetspot, but another advantage of the saddle is the inbuilt flex in this saddle. If you get an original one, I'd suggest the black if you're a heavier rider, and the blue/green if you're lighter.

Mine is not set up in the manner instructed by the makers, which sez to set it dead flat. this would make the rear bumps sit quite high. I assume the average rider wold be sufficiently heavy enough for these bumps to flex down, resulting in a more even spread of weight over the saddle. I'm quite light, so have tipped the front up very slightly and this evens the pressure out for me, otherwise I'd find myself slipping forward, 'nonslip' surface or not. If you look at the originals you'll see theyre obviously very cheaply made, and this is half of the advantage as it means the flex quite a lot, absorbing bumps. Compared to other saddles I'd tried, this definitely improved the comfort of my tender bits.

Looking at the new rido, I can imagine the extra padding on the top is an answer to the inherent problem I mentioned in the original, to spread the pressure on the bumbones. However, If you don't sit just right on the saddle, the sharp angle at the end of those wings can be a pain, literally, with your backside sticking out over the edge and pushing down on them, so if you're well endowed in that region this saddle might not be the best, though looking at the rido 2, this does SEEM to be slightly more rounded, so may not have that problem.

Having said all that, I'm not sure whether hotfoot has anything to do with your saddle? Have you looked at cleat alignment?

ps: the black saddle is for sale, the dayglo one is on my ocr

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad