large cassette

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
im getting a trek 1.5 which has a triple chainset 50 39 30 and a rear cassette 26- 12, 9 speed i was thinking of getting a larger rear cassette i have seen some on cycle sports site, shimano hg 80 it comes in 3 sizes and is 9 speed
11-28
11-32
11-34
are these cassettes too big and will i never use the largest rear cogs or would they help when going up big hills after a long ride

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    11-28 will be fine with a road mech (unofficially)

However you will definitely need a MTB rear mech for 11-32 and 11-34.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I have a 52 - 42 - 30 triple chain ring and a 12 - 27 rear cassette and i'm really pleased i have some very low gears, especially on sunday when i was cycling past people pushing there bikes up some really steep hills. If you have very low gears you don't have to use them , but at least they are there when you do need them.

If the bike is new you might be able to get the bike shop to swap a larger cassette over with only minimal charge if not might be an idea to wait and see if you actually need it.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I can't see you really needing gearing above the 28t as thats 30/28 as a bottom gear. Any slower than that and I'd reccommend you push... :lol:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I can't see you really needing gearing above the 28t as thats 30/28 as a bottom gear. Any slower than that and I'd reccommend you push... :lol:

don't laugh i needed a F28 - R34 on an MTB to get up a 26% hill :oops: It was a pride thing that i got to the top :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.