Hi, I'm new and looking for some entry level bike advice!

parklaneyido
parklaneyido Posts: 19
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi. I am relatively new to cycling. Only cycle for pleasure really. I do take part in the BHF London to Brighton every year. I recently sold my flat handlebar Carrera road bike (Don't slate me, I didn't realise how bad they were :lol: :oops: ). I am now looking at getting a road bike with drop bars. But I'm having a little bit of trouble deciding which would be a suitable choice. My budget is about £500 max. I have been looking at the Giant range. The SCR 4 or the 2009 defy Link Here. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated! :D

Comments

• sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    HI Parklaneyido

I am getting back to road bikes myself and have you have a look at the Carrera vanquish as well, from what I have seen. its a good bike at a good price plus to 08 models will be dropping in price soon as the 09 models will be out.

If I had the money right now I would have a good look at them myself plus would have to get it pass her in doors ( I dont think so :roll: )

Good luck with what ever you get plus is that park lane in Tottenham and if it is that is just down the road from me :wink:
    I live near the North Mid
  • Sicknote wrote:
    HI Parklaneyido

I am getting back to road bikes myself and have you have a look at the Carrera vanquish as well, from what I have seen. its a good bike at a good price plus to 08 models will be dropping in price soon as the 09 models will be out.

If I had the money right now I would have a good look at them myself plus would have to get it pass her in doors ( I dont think so :roll: )

Good luck with what ever you get plus is that park lane in Tottenham and if it is that is just down the road from me :wink:
    I live near the North Mid

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out that bike... Although I did say to myself I wouldn't go back to Halfords!

Yes that is Park Lane in Tottenham, hense the YIDO part of my name! Not having a good time as a Spurs supporter at the moment though! I live in Sussex, but the 'Park Lane' end is where I sit when I got up to watch the games! :D
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    If you are going to a Halfords, try the one in Chingford as they sub a guy that has his own shop to build the bike and I use to go to his shop but it might be a bit far for you.

You would get it built right if he is doing it :)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    £70 off that bike now. think sale has just started?
  • We're the Shelf Side, We're the Shelf Side, We're the Shelf Side TOTTENHAM. Welcome aboard ParkLaneYido 8)

There are a lot of good bikes at the £500 mark. Didnt go to Halfords, went to my LBS and came out with a Specialized Allez at £500. I think the basic 09 is £550 this year though. Best advise would be to chose a few that you want to test ride, get the right size and take them for a spin. Then buy the most comfortable.

I might use my bike as a get away machine when I kill Comolli its that good :wink:
  • We're the Shelf Side, We're the Shelf Side, We're the Shelf Side TOTTENHAM. Welcome aboard ParkLaneYido 8)

There are a lot of good bikes at the £500 mark. Didnt go to Halfords, went to my LBS and came out with a Specialized Allez at £500. I think the basic 09 is £550 this year though. Best advise would be to chose a few that you want to test ride, get the right size and take them for a spin. Then buy the most comfortable.

I might use my bike as a get away machine when I kill Comolli its that good :wink:

:lol: If you need someone to aid you, then let me know :twisted:

:lol: If you need someone to aid you, then let me know :twisted:

A Hammer and a hacksaw, oh and a butchers apron. Thats all you will need to bring. And a chair as you will be at the back of the queue to chop the saboteur up.
  • hi not sure if you like this idea but you can get very well looked after good bikes second hand. british cycling, cycling weekly and ebay are great places for cheap second hand bikes.
    i got my bianchi 1885 centaur with vento's for £375 it was in great condition.
    but as i said not sure if you want a second hand
    cheers
  • I would definitely look for a 2008 bike in the sale, as you will get much better spec for the money. If you can afford £500, have a look at the Giant SCR 1.5. It has Tiagra shifters which have the nicer change levers.,
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • I just got a vanquish four weeks ago and think its great. Ok it doesnt have the same pedigree as other makes but for the money i could'nt find a bike with as good as spec'. Sora derailers front and back Tiagara shifters Shimano wh-500 wheels and contintal tyres. The bike weighs just over 10Kg which is mabie not the lightest but it does have a carbon fork and at the moment it's reduced from £499 to $450. :lol:
  • jon_e00
    jon_e00 Posts: 64
    I spent £400 on well maintained/like-new Giant SCR 1.0 and am absolutely delighted.
    I did this as I wanted a Shimano 105 groupset.
  • I would definitely look for a 2008 bike in the sale, as you will get much better spec for the money. If you can afford £500, have a look at the Giant SCR 1.5. It has Tiagra shifters which have the nicer change levers.,

I only have good things to say about my SCR 1.5....had it for 2 weeks....First week was fantastic until I trashed it under a car....Did a 50 mile ride in that time and it was far more comfortable than my MTB over even a shorter distance.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • I think I'll go get measured up in my local bike store and settle for that 2009 Giant Defy. I want to make sure the frame is a perfect size this time because I don't plan to buy another bike for a few years :wink:
  • I think I'll go get measured up in my local bike store and settle for that 2009 Giant Defy. I want to make sure the frame is a perfect size this time because I don't plan to buy another bike for a few years :wink:

If I was you I would seriously have a good look for 2007/2008 SCR's....fantastic value for money at the moment.
  • fuzzynavel wrote:
    I think I'll go get measured up in my local bike store and settle for that 2009 Giant Defy. I want to make sure the frame is a perfect size this time because I don't plan to buy another bike for a few years :wink:

If I was you I would seriously have a good look for 2007/2008 SCR's....fantastic value for money at the moment.

I'll check them out, thanks! I was looking at the SCR4 as it happens!
  • fuzzynavel wrote:
    I think I'll go get measured up in my local bike store and settle for that 2009 Giant Defy. I want to make sure the frame is a perfect size this time because I don't plan to buy another bike for a few years :wink:

I'll check them out, thanks! I was looking at the SCR4 as it happens!
    I started off looking at the SCR 3's back in the summer and I took so long to arrange my finances that the SCR1.5 dropped into my price range....pretty decent spec for the £650 range....never mind about the sub £500 range where I picked it up. £499.99 at Winstanleys 2 weeks ago......I got their second last one in the large frame.
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    frankly the biggest thing about a bike at this point is the shop you get it from and the help they offer.

you'll not notice much practicle difference and i suspect if you were to ride them blindfold err not a good idea...) you wouldn't know which was which!

go for the one you feel most comfortable with and the shop that gives you the best service and/or discount package. this time of the year dont be afraid to be a bit outragous in the extras you ask for (computer, pedles, etc) and you might get it. just make sure its comfortable and they help you get the sadle just right (yes + or - 0.5 cm does make a difference here!) etc. oh and be honest, for most of us the most important thing is it looks the biz...