spd shoes/pedals

paul_or
paul_or Posts: 156
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, recently fitted some shimano 540spd pedals, I am running with specialized BG road shoes. Both have been acquired within the last week. Apart from the obvious and painful process of getting used to these (I was using pedals with traps before, so on my first 'spd' outing yesterday, when I was trying to come to a halt, I couldnt get my feet out and ended up falling painfully into a thorn bush!), I did a 20 mile ride yesterday which has left my legs feeling like they did the first time I went out! Is it normal to feel such a difference when switching to 'proper' pedals and shoes? The upside was that my efficiency and power also seemed massively enhanced whilst on the ride, so my guess is that I was just working my legs harder and thus the aches!?

Any advice welcomed!
visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk

Comments

• paul_or wrote:
    Hi, recently fitted some shimano 540spd pedals, I am running with specialized BG road shoes. Both have been acquired within the last week. Apart from the obvious and painful process of getting used to these (I was using pedals with traps before, so on my first 'spd' outing yesterday, when I was trying to come to a halt, I couldnt get my feet out and ended up falling painfully into a thorn bush!), I did a 20 mile ride yesterday which has left my legs feeling like they did the first time I went out! Is it normal to feel such a difference when switching to 'proper' pedals and shoes? The upside was that my efficiency and power also seemed massively enhanced whilst on the ride, so my guess is that I was just working my legs harder and thus the aches!?

Any advice welcomed!

I hope it was only your pride that was hurt when you fell into the bush :)

You may get slight aches due to the positioning of your feet in the shoes/pedals.....they will not be able to move around much and may be out of position for your natural stroke. Everyone is slightly different in their foot positioning...I push through the balls of my feet with my heels pulled in towards the frame....some people turn their feet out...
    Keep riding the same way as you are and if you keep getting pain then consider adjusting your pedals/shoes.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!