New saddle, suspension seatpost or both??

WipeOut_Dude
WipeOut_Dude Posts: 52
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have a totally rigid Giant which I got about 8 years ago.. I am finding it very uncomfortable to ride, especially on the trails and bridle ways and any sort of speed on any descents is murder.. So I am in the process of looking for a full suspension bike..

What I have been thinking is making the Giant into a more on road bike and perhaps replacing the tyres with slicks.. What I want to do is make it more comfortable..

So the question is would just putting on a "comfort" saddle be enough generally?? Would a suspension seatpost help things more?? or should I look at doing both??

Thanks for any advice..

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will automatically find it more comfy (bump wise) on the roads. Put the slicks on, see how it goes. If the saddle still makes you sore, think about changing it. If still feels bumpy, put the suss post on it!
  • Thanks Supersonic.. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what kind of saddle have you got fitted at the mo, more padding doesnt always mean more comfort (believe it or not) sometimes a slimmer saddle with a flexible hull will be really comfy.

its what i prefer anyway but contact points are a very personal thing, it cost me a fortune to find out what i liked best!!
  • dannyg
    dannyg Posts: 59
    Another classic mistake is to have your tyres pumped up solid. If you can check your tyre pressures. It's a bit of a balancing act as too little pressure can result in pinch punctures and obvioulsy too much tends to be like riding solid tyres, try starting of around 30-35 psi and take it from there.

I stongly agree with Sheepsteeth about the saddle situation. The saddle on My Boardman Pro is the narrowest and firmest to the touch saddle i've ever had, but it's the comfiest!!!

Try not to spend anything to start with, work with what you've got, if all else fails do small things at a time.
    Dan daren't but he did anyway!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Team
  • I agree re the saddle size. On my last bike i had a larger gel saddle designed specifically for men. For about the first half hour on the bike it was like sitting in an armchair, after that it just became horrible! On my new bike i have a much thinner much harder saddle but it is by far and away much more comfortable for long and short periods of time 8)
  • Belphegor
    Belphegor Posts: 154
    You might want to experiment with saddle angle too. Tilting it slightly forward or backwards might help spread the load a little :)

I tried a gel saddle once and it was terrible. It seems all gooey at first and then it seems to just go solid as soon and your butt pressure points have squiged all the gel away.
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • Hmmm.. So as always no easy answer to this one..

Dannyg, I have my tyres at 30PSI already, made a difference to the bumps but not to the sore butt.. :)

Think I will visit the shop and see what I can find..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ideally you want more pressure on the roads - to lower rolling resistance.