Skins

steve_1981
steve_1981 Posts: 114
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I've been reading a lot about these new base layers that are supposed to help with endurance and recovery times.

Basically, I'm wondering if the long tights are likely to aid muscle re-build and recovery from my broken leg?

Obviously I'm doing a lot of physio but will these help?

Comments

• Thanks for the helpful comment there

Is that why they get such good reviews and why the pro's wear them!? :roll:
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    They are designed to help with lactic acid build up and disperal, so I'm not sure that they would help with broken bone recovery.
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • paggnr wrote:
    They are designed to help with lactic acid build up and disperal, so I'm not sure that they would help with broken bone recovery.

Ah... OK.

Cheers :D maybe I won't spend £60 on some then
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    Thanks for the helpful comment there

Is that why they get such good reviews and why the pro's wear them!?

"Techfit Seamless is comprised of compression fabrics which harness natural body expansion and contraction - returning lost energy and reducing muscle vibration. This enhanced muscle alignment significantly prevents fatigue build-up allowing the sportsman to perform better for longer."

What a load of old tosh... GIMMICK
  • I suppose you're entitled to your opinion
  • I think it depends on your "type" of broken leg. I had lower leg fracture(s) and have tried wearing the DVT socks from hospital for walking and exercise and i think they helped in terms of discomfort during and recovery after - not scientific but similar work with and without to compare. I had a fair bit of soft tissue stuff going on which causes / caused me more problems than the bone bit.

I have read that wearing them after exercise also helps.

Try some DVT / flight socks as a cheap way of trying the theory for you. The hospital white ones dye easily to black....
  • Cheers! 8)

I'm thinking that they might help then. I snapped by femur which cause lots of muscle and other soft tissue damage.

Basically all that's holding me back at the moment is the muscle rebuild/recovery.

It might be worth a punt then....
  • Cheers! 8)

I'm thinking that they might help then. I snapped by femur which cause lots of muscle and other soft tissue damage.

Basically all that's holding me back at the moment is the muscle rebuild/recovery.

It might be worth a punt then....
  • Spent the last two years training for half ironman triathlons and swear by the tights.
    After long or hard training sessions i would put them staright on, even sleeping in them if it was an evening ride/run. I found a huge decrease in muscle soreness and they helped keep the training consistant.
    Id say yea!
  • Thanks! 8)