d27 vs avalanche 1.0?

rob08
rob08 Posts: 10
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi Guys

after doing lots of reseach and speaking with cycle dealers i still cant decide between a Cape wrath d27 and a GT avalanche 1.0, or the cheaper cape wrath xc

the bike radar review gave the d27 a great review but when it reviewed the avalanche it said it was way ahead of everything else in its class ( which i take to include the d27).

However when i speak to dealers they say there is nothing to seperate them. im gettting mixed advice also on the need for disk breaks.

essentially i'm newish to this and want a bike that i can take through forrest trails but also use on the road and tow paths ( i have to travel on roads/tow paths to get to the forrest trails) i estimate that my time will be split equally between the two.

its for fitness purposes and i intend to be out two or three timesa a week ( i currently have a very cheap and heavy bike but still enjoy it although its very slow on the road)

my second question would be what tyres would be best given that there is no option to change them between road and off road because both are involved in the dame ride.

hope you guys can shed a bit more light on this.

Ps avananche handle bars being longer - thats puiting me off a bit- should it?