Advice on 7 speed rear mech please!!

RichC-TRI
RichC-TRI Posts: 7
edited October 2008 in The workshop
Dear all,

I'm running an old beloved 7 speed (dont laugh - I love my Claud Butler frame geometry!) race bike as my commuting bike. My old Sora deraillier is about to give up the ghost. Do you know if the current Shimano Tiagra long rear mech is compatable with 7 speed since all modern gear shifters are 8-10 now.

If not can you recommend a suitable piece of kit that is 7 speed suitable.?

Ta

Rich

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you have shimano shifter then any shimano mech will do fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Rich, try asking in the commuting workshop section, I think the gearheads have all started posting there now. :)

My old bike has a tiagra but I'm afraid I havent a clue (not too clued up on gears) :oops:
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    nicklouse wrote:

Is there anything mechanical this man doesn't know! :D
    Steve C
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    nicklouse wrote:

While we are on the subject - is the pull ration of Shimano mtb drivetrains the same as road?

My commuter's rear mech is on its way out (spewing brown grease and loose at the hanger) and I'm thinking of a mtb component in the hope that it will be more robust for the winter.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    yep can use mountain bike mechs on road bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bugly
    yep currently all shimano use the same pull ratios.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I thought that was the case, but couldn't fin anything current in the offical bumf. Ta