Wicked hag rammed cyclist

2»

Comments

• http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/court/Disabled-driver-spared-jail-ramming-bike/article-459024-detail/article.html

A 63-YEAR-OLD disabled driver used her car "like a weapon" when she rammed a man off his cycle, a judge said.

"You were in a furious temper and used your car to give vent to your temper," recorder William Edis QC told Patricia Pickford.

Pickford was given six months in prison, suspended for a year, and was banned from driving for a year. She was also ordered to pay Neil Doherty £346.95 compensation for the damage to his bike.

Pickford, the former wife of a policeman, had only ever received a speeding fine, Nottingham Crown Court heard.

But on March 6 she drove her car at Mr Doherty when he stopped his bike by her Motability car in Lenton to speak to her about her bad driving.

"The cyclist came to speak to you to ask if you knew you had run a red light and cut across his path," the judge told her.

"I am satisfied the discussion involved, on both sides, forceful and sometimes less polite language. When the lights changed, Mr Doherty pulled away on his bike, crossed in front of your car, quite lawfully, and returned to the cycle path."

Pickford, of Poplar Crescent, Nuthall, revved her Nissan Almera's engine, stuck Mr Doherty's bike and propelled it forward, causing him to fall to the ground.

"I believe you deliberately drove towards and at Mr Doherty, but I don't think you intended to cause him physical harm," said the judge.

"I think you intended to frighten him and teach him a lesson, namely that he shouldn't accuse you of bad driving. You used your car as a weapon to intimidate another road user."

Pickford, who was found guilty of dangerous driving after a trial, had said her car did not move and Mr Doherty fell off his bike to make a false complaint.

Jeremy Janes, defending, said the collision was at low-speed and Mr Doherty's injuries were modest.

He said: "For her, the disqualification is the most painful reminder of the events that unfolded that particular night. The car, quite literally, has been a lifeline for her because of her difficulties."
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    "I believe you deliberately drove towards and at Mr Doherty, but I don't think you intended to cause him physical harm," said the judge. "

Ask the judge if he'd like to be aimed at by a driver, see how the chuffing knobber feels then.
  • I also found the judge's comment a little distasteful in the context described by number9.

How vindictive are we feeling today? A suspended sentence means that if Mrs Hag drives whilst disqualified she goes to prison. Is this right?

The story says 'Pickford, of Poplar Crescent, Nuthall...'

Would anyone like to drop by in a month to check her motoring status? Make sure you take your mobile phone, you may need to make a call...
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    If I swung my fist at said judge, with a damned sight less kinetic energy behind it that a moving car would possess, I'd be done for it and probably jailed, arguments along the lines of not intending to hurt someone as I pummeled their face would get short shrift.

Why in this case is that different when the vehicle was used as a weapon?

One wonders what the judge thought would be the consequences of the woman driving at someone deliberately? Good health and a long life?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • I agree with you entirely, but then this is a cycle forum.
  • martty
    martty Posts: 10
    only just seen this article, i had a similar incident this year. A disabled driver rammed my bike at a set of traffic lights.... :shock:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Scary stuff.

Re the camera on cars things - they already have that in the states - insurance companies like them. Not sure how it works - but just check out any US motoring accident clip show.
  • Funnily enough, I was nearly knocked off by a minicab driver a few days ago.
    "Ididn't hit you, where's the problem?"
    I pulled my punch a quarter inch off his face and he nearly shat himself.
    I repeated his own words back to him.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • dynohub
    dynohub Posts: 102
    The woman is clearly a complete menace and the roads are safer without her.

However (although in this case it did result in the removal of a nutter from our roads) I do wonder if the cyclist was wise to start an altercation in the first place.

Cycle Chat have a poll on "universal idiot driver sign" at the moment, and the below was my response to that (so not completely apropos this thread - but given Tony's post above)

Regardless of if I'm on foot, cycling, or driving, I refrain from making signs, gesturing, shouting, flashing lights, hooting etc

The reason? Partly because I'm not stupid enough to think I'm capable of defending myself against everyone (and possible their passengers too), and there are some real nutters out there.

But mainly because doing things like making signs is likely to make someone who is either feeling stupid because they've done something daft, or doesn't care about my safety angry. Result - angry person in motor vehicle who is a risk to all and sundry.

How would you feel if as a result of making signs at a bad driver, they turned to hurl abuse and mowed down a pedestrian?

If I see or experience something truly dangerous, I would report the bugger, ideally with witnesses.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Keep it polite, assured and firm.

A clear loud "Watch Out" works far better as people turn to look, gaining you witnesses. If the driver starts swearing , you look more and more reasonable and they look more and more unreasonable - all in your favour.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • [quoteI hate that when some nutcase of a woman tries to knock you over and then pleads that she is concerned for her safety when you complain. [/quote]

It's what they all do.

Once you have them cornered, they go all road safety on you the f.u.cking hypocrites.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    She certainly deserves the punishment, nor does the cyclist deserve to be run over!

But I can't help thinking that not saying anything might have avoiding the incident, since she wouldn't have got angry.

Not a moral position, more a practical one.

From my experience, communicating with any driver when you're on a bike is just asking for trouble.

Similarly I don't go up to who I think is probably a drug dealer to tell him he's breaking the law! Why tell the driver? If the driver is likely to give a monkeys, they've probably noticed they made a mistake already, no?

I don't think communicating on the road is going to solve much.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    teagar wrote:
    She certainly deserves the punishment, nor does the cyclist deserve to be run over!

But I can't help thinking that not saying anything might have avoiding the incident, since she wouldn't have got angry.

From my experience, communicating with any driver when you're on a bike is just asking for trouble.

Similarly I don't go up to who I think is probably a drug dealer to tell him he's breaking the law! Why tell the driver? If the driver is likely to give a monkeys, they've probably noticed they made a mistake already, no?

The way I see it sometimes people have a right to get angry, people however dont have a right to violence. That goes for all walks of life, not just cycling. :?

I dont think he was asking for it, he was remonstrating in the name of safety. By acting with violence she's taken the stance that he has no right to safety.
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    There is already a car camera system available

http://www.stirlingsvd.co.uk/70141/info ... h=&sought=
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    downfader wrote:
    teagar wrote:

The way I see it sometimes people have a right to get angry, people however dont have a right to violence. That goes for all walks of life, not just cycling. :?

I dont think he was asking for it, he was remonstrating in the name of safety. By acting with violence she's taken the stance that he has no right to safety.

I'm by no means defending her! Nor am I saying she's justified. I don't think I was justfying violence?!

You see my point though. Why risk elevating the problem? Prevention is better than cure after all. Sure you have a right to be angry, or even to tell someone that you are, but it doesn't achieve much. If anything, you run the risk of making it worse. The best (likely) scenario to come from the cyclist (or the driver) getting angry and telling them is that they continue on their way safely - the same outcome that you get if you don't tell them you're angry!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Rubbish rubbish rubbish!!

A road rager like her is a bully - she demonstrated what she was, then compounded the issue. She's still a bully and needs to be sorted! Otherwise she thinks it's okay to bully everyone, in her car, out of her car, makes little difference. She's a bully.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Rubbish rubbish rubbish!!

A road rager like her is a bully - she demonstrated what she was, then compounded the issue. She's still a bully and needs to be sorted! Otherwise she thinks it's okay to bully everyone, in her car, out of her car, makes little difference. She's a bully.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    IMHO quite clearly the cyclist was wronged. He did everything right until the point of cycling in front of her vehicle after talking to her. Some may say he should have just waited until she had moved off or avoided all contact all together but others might say that he was totally correct and justified to point out to her her poor standard of driving and continue on his way as he did. I've been in very similar situations over the last few years. Unless you are in heavy traffic I wouldn't attempt it as you are pretty safe as you can ride away and the car can't usually follow but if the roads are empty or you're in a rural area you put your life in the control of the errant driver. See my post for the driver of a huge aggragates lorry double wheeler in the Fens who tried to run me off the road drove his truck at me stopped came for me to do me over and then had another attempt at running me down by driving straight at me trying to kill me. Fcukng terrifying. Very dirty cycling shorts. Generally I don't get into any altercation now but if I feel the driver is trying to enter into one or prove what a dickhead they are I just lean over and stare at them giving a long hard deranged stare that looks straight through them. It works a treat. I might shout Careful! but that's it. Apart from that I still ride hard but defensively and try to avoid all difficult situations. I stop even if my right of way is impeded by a car where I am going to come off worse. But most importantly I am listening and looking everywhere now. I've lost the attitude as I want to live a long and happy life preferably cycling until I'm 110.

A conviction of GBH in relation to driving a vehicle has been successfully obtained fairly recently can't remember the case just now but a driver was convicted with the s.18 offence GBH with intent to cause serious injury using a motor vehicle. Ok so you remonstrate with say 10 drivers in a day/week/year depending on the type of cyclist you are and where you cycle. You only need one of them to lose it and actually run you down. When nutters in vehicles get mad the red mist seems to come down and they will do quite wreckless or dangerous things without thought for the consequences of their actions. A cyclist is very vulnerable and a long time dead. Sometimes it's better to take a long hard breather and keep stum. I've learned the hard way sometimes. If you feel you are on a crusade or so self righteous as a cyclist sooner or later you will come a serious cropper. Survive to ride another day. Always carry a camera, phone and D-lock in case of emergencies.
    Safe and happy cycling.
    Alex
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Alex, you speak (type) much sense. I need you to keep me calm on my commute.

Are you near Leicester :D
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Alex, you speak (type) much sense. I need you to keep me calm on my commute.

Are you near Leicester :D

Nope.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.