age old question with a twist!

celestemonkey
celestemonkey Posts: 15
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
hey guys,looking forward to earls court to finalize first road bikes for newbie and wife

so for the same price

2009 bianchi c2c carbon Centaur mix 10s Compact

or

2009 bianchi c2c Ultegra 10s Compact BUT with 2009 Mavic Ksyrium elite3 upgraded wheel set

we understand people will have the whole campag/shimano opinion and keeping it all italian ideals, but objectively the upgraded Ultegra setup appears to us the one to go for.

what do you think?

Comments

• hey guys,looking forward to earls court to finalize first road bikes for newbie and wife

so for the same price

or

2009 bianchi c2c Ultegra 10s Compact BUT with 2009 Mavic Ksyrium elite3 upgraded wheel set

we understand people will have the whole campag/shimano opinion and keeping it all italian ideals, but objectively the upgraded Ultegra setup appears to us the one to go for.

what do you think?

I don't know the answer to your question but the way I read it I thought that you wanted to buy 2 very expensive bikes as a first bike for your other half...please tell me I am wrong!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    hey guys,looking forward to earls court to finalize first road bikes for newbie and wife

so for the same price

or

what do you think?

I don't know the answer to your question but the way I read it I thought that you wanted to buy 2 very expensive bikes as a first bike for your other half...please tell me I am wrong!
    If he can afford it, why shouldn't he?
  • buying two bikes, one each,

kind of decided on the Bianchi, we both like the relaxed geometry, as it is similar to the hardtail hybrids we have been touring with.

it was the choice of finishing kit(if that the right term)

for the same price I could have the upgraded wheels with the Ultegra setup,
    I understood the campag/shimano gear sets were comparable.

Just thought I was missing something! the wheel upgrade seemed too good to be true.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Get to try out both Campag and Shimano as they have a different 'feel' in how they operate. Also some find one type of lever more comfortable than the other. They are a quite different shape. Both are excellent kit so don't worry there. Ignore any biased replies, only you can say which you like best. You could even end up with one of each but I would not recomend this as you would not be able to swap gear from one bike to the other should you ever want to.
  • I have herd that Bianchi's reputation has gone downhill. More and more people say that the are more badge now.

Camag/Shim that's all about opinion and preference. I have seen but not tested the new campag shifters. They feel nice and look better than even the old onesbut i'm a campag fan anyway
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • thanks John, that makes alot of sense,

we will have the bikes a long time, it has to be right from the start

for us the transition to road bikes has to retain the enjoyment, and the feel must be paramount.

I did visit lbs this morning to see the 2009 campag levers/hoods, and they had significantly improved fit
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    fuzzynavel wrote:

so for the same price

or

what do you think?

What I meant was that for a first bike they are a little overkill as they may be used once and never again. But...reading further down the thread it seems that they are already keen cyclists and are upgrading to road bikes so my point is invalid. As someone said above it is his choice.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • fuzzy navel no problem, my poor posting!

believe me I work too hard for my money to give it away, bikes are below budget, and have waited/saved long enough(no "got to have it NOW" syndrome).

we just want to buy once and well.
  • Some LBS who have models in and you are 'in with' may let you test ride it down the road and back. Mine did, i went down to the end and back, then he said that's not a test and told me to go out again. I went off for 20 miles ish!! no probs I think that's an exception to the rule though and I did buy all £1700 of it.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    fuzzynavel wrote:

so for the same price

or

what do you think?

Have to be Campy, cant have shimano on a Bianchi, its not right!
  • thanks guys will let you know what we decide, mavic wheels just beautiful but campag hoods comfy

Specailized Roubaix still wild card option,just have to get on and ride!