Help with gears on brand new Roubaix Elite 08

jackthehat
jackthehat Posts: 31
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi folks,

I just got my new Specialized Roubaix Ellite 08 delivered yesterday (courtesy of Cycle to Work Scheme :wink: ). I put the bike together with no problems but I have a quick question about the gears. Is it normal for the chain to come off when pedalling backwards? I know that sounds stupid and I know very little about bike setup but when the rear derailleur is on the larger rear sprockets the chain slips right off when pedalling backwards.

Obviously people don't pedal backwards on bikes but when stopping for traffic and winding the pedals backwards to get the pedal to the top for setting off again, the chain jumps right across the rear sprockets. Surely that shouldn't happen. Any advice?

Also, do all bikes come ready lubricated? The reason I ask is that there seems to be very little, if any, lubrication on any of the chain and sprockets. I can tell something is there but it certainly isn't dripping with oil. Is that normal?

Thanks for your time and I apologise for my lack of cycling knowledge. I chose the Roubaix because of the great reviews it's had and it looks like a fantastic bike. For your info, the bike has two large sprockets at the front and ten sprockets on the rear cassette (i.e. 20 speed). Gear changers are Shimano 105. If anyone can help out I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• nille
    nille Posts: 5
    congrat to a very fine bike i have the 2007 roubaix elite.sounds oddd with the chain comming off,go to a lbs and have it checked,and so about the chain i guess it is some kind o vax on it from start kr nille (not an expert)
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I have the same bike and it's been wonderful.

However, the front derailieur on mine needed to be replaced with an FSA jobbie. The original would often alternate between throwing the chain off on either side (regardless of how the limit screws were adjusted) and not shifting at all.

My LBS had seen a few Roubaix's with the same problem. The derailieur was replaced under warranty.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    does this only happen in both big rings? It is probably due to the diagonal chainline which isn't corrected by the derraileur when the chain goes the wrong way.

Solution, when sorting your pedals at traffic lights, pop the front brake on and push forward whilst pressing down on the pedal, so the rear wheel is slightly off the floor.
  • does this only happen in both big rings? It is probably due to the diagonal chainline which isn't corrected by the derraileur when the chain goes the wrong way.

Solution, when sorting your pedals at traffic lights, pop the front brake on and push forward whilst pressing down on the pedal, so the rear wheel is slightly off the floor.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I've just had the bike out on it's first test ride about 10 mins ago (about 5 miles) and the chain only jumps across the rear sprockets when it is on the largest two. It's fine on any other of the rear sprockets. Yes, there is definitely a diagonal chainline visible. Should the rear derraileur be correcting this? Or is this sort of thing to be expected?

My last bike was a budget Raleigh Airlite 100 2008 with 14 gears (7 rear sprockets) and it never had this sort of problem. I understand that this sort of thing is probably more likely to happen on a bike with 10 rear sprockets as the diagonal chainline will be more severe. I just didn't expect this on a £1200 bike.

Thanks for the solution about pushing forward whilst braking at traffic lights. I'll have to try that. I'd just prefer it not to do it at all.

Do you think it could be due to lack of lubrication?

I might have a fiddle with it myself over the weekend before resorting to paying my LBS to do it for me.
  • Nuggs wrote:

However, the front derailieur on mine needed to be replaced with an FSA jobbie. The original would often alternate between throwing the chain off on either side (regardless of how the limit screws were adjusted) and not shifting at all.

My LBS had seen a few Roubaix's with the same problem. The derailieur was replaced under warranty.

Thanks Nuggs. Front derailleur seems OK at the moment but it's early days and I'm not an experienced biker. Time will tell. The bike was mail order from Belfast (I'm in England) so I don't have the option of taking it back to the dealer for a free setup.
  • This could also happen if the rear wheel is not aligned correctly
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Nuggs wrote:

funny you should say that, i've had problems getting back on the outer ring when I've dropped down and had an initial service which seemed to help but it's not great again - back to Harry Hall's I suppose
  • MIsterGoof wrote:
    This could also happen if the rear wheel is not aligned correctly

Good point. I will have to check that. Thanks.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    No it shouldn't happen - the gears need adjusted properly. Most shops do a service after a few weeks or months to sort these things out.

You will need to lube your chain. They come with protective wax on them basically to stop them rusting in the packet or in the showroom but this will not last long. A clean and well lubricated chain is much more pleasant to ride and will last a lot longer.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog wrote:
    No it shouldn't happen - the gears need adjusted properly. Most shops do a service after a few weeks or months to sort these things out.

You will need to lube your chain. They come with protective wax on them basically to stop them rusting in the packet or in the showroom but this will not last long. A clean and well lubricated chain is much more pleasant to ride and will last a lot longer.

Thanks k-dog, I will get the WD-40 out tomorrow.

(Only joking!!! I nicked some decent hydraulic gear oil from work... I'll use that instead :lol: )
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited October 2008
    Use a proper chain lube. Hydraulic oil is not designed for this purpose. You need a lube that will stand high loading at slow speed and also will not wash off easily.
  • John.T wrote:
    Use a proper chain lube. Hydraulic oil is not designed for this purpose. You need a lube that will stand high loading at slow speed and also will not wash of easily.

Yes, I thought you might say that. I suppose I'll have to get my hand in my pocket. This stuff from work will do for now until I get hold of the proper stuff.
  • Just to let you all know that I poured a load of that hydraulic oil onto my new bike this afternoon (the stuff I nicked from work) and it's made a big difference to it. It was great on the 7 mile ride this afternoon and the chain isn't so keen at coming off when pedalling backwards... although it still does occasionally.
  • I had never thought of changing gears by pedalling backwards, and can imagine that it won't work too well. You could avoid having such a diagonal chainline, won't that wear the chain out quicker?

New chains do come with lubrication already on them, seems to last pretty well so you shouldn't need to lubricate the chain for a while. And why would you lubricate the sprockets, does anyone else reading this lubricate the sprockets as well as the chain?
  • I had never thought of changing gears by pedalling backwards, and can imagine that it won't work too well. You could avoid having such a diagonal chainline, won't that wear the chain out quicker?

New chains do come with lubrication already on them, seems to last pretty well so you shouldn't need to lubricate the chain for a while. And why would you lubricate the sprockets, does anyone else reading this lubricate the sprockets as well as the chain?

Hey, I'm a complete amateur so I haven't got a clue. But I assure you there was very little lubrication, if any, on the bike when I got it. I found that surprising because the last two bikes I have bought were fully lubricated and ready to go. I didn't know the exact spots to put the oil on this bike so I poured a great heap of it over all the sprockets, cogs and chain. It's certainly made a difference to the bike (and my yard floor - big puddle of it!)
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Something as simple as one stiff link will cause chain to skip/unship in "reverse".
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    James. It is rather difficult to lube a chain without also getting lube on the cogs. You need it there as well anyway.