Ordering your bike

Spider987
Spider987 Posts: 189
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Im fairly new here and have seen alot of people saying that they orderd there bike from there LBS and it was coming in two weeks.
I work in a bike shop so this baffled me a bit, as whenever there is a bike on show there is atleast another one in a diffrent size!
and if we do need to order it in we get it in within a week usally.
So i was just wondering if there was a exact reason why some people have needed to order it in?
Was it because it was a £2k bike? as this i could understand but we would of got it on sale or return before you orderd just to make sure you could sit on it and see what you thought.

Thanks.

Comments

• Belphegor
    Belphegor Posts: 154
    When I bought mine, they had the same bike in XL. I'm 6' 1" and it would have been slightly too big, so anyone who is say 5' 6" wanting the same bike would need the M ordered in. It depends how much storage space they have I guess!

I found that most shops had the bike I was interested in, but only in M, not in L which made trying them out pretty pointless.
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Spider987 How long have you worked in a bike shop?

What sort of bikes do you sell?

Never had a supplier run out of stock?

I was in the trade just over a year, selling bikes from £100-£500, quite often the suppliers would be out of stock of certain bikes in certain sizes.

Small manufacturers suffer with this more than big manufacturers, seen as you can only produce/ship so many bikes at a time.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Spider987
    Spider987 Posts: 189
    Andy_B wrote:
    Spider987 How long have you worked in a bike shop?

What sort of bikes do you sell?

Never had a supplier run out of stock?

I was in the trade just over a year, selling bikes from £100-£500, quite often the suppliers would be out of stock of certain bikes in certain sizes.

Small manufacturers suffer with this more than big manufacturers, seen as you can only produce/ship so many bikes at a time.

Over a year!
    I sell alsorts of bikes mainly mountain bikes and bmx's.

ofcourse we have had suppliers run out of stock, im not here to try and say that where i work is the best. But im just wondering if other shops only keep one in stock and if you want one you have to order it. Or they just build them all on a set day and let you take them that day.

I know what you mean about bikes running out of stock, this is a big problem at christmas where people think we can get one in within about a 1 week. Where if manufactor has round out it can take upto 8 weeks!