worst moment on a bike?

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
What's your worst moment on a bike?

Yesterday I came back feeling nackered after trying to outrun someone up a monstor hill that I had overtaken at some lights and could hear behind me . Kept thinking 'he wants a race does he then... he's good...can't go any harder and he's STILL there...I'll have to hand this one to him'. Only to discover that what i could hear was my rear light wobbling around! (morale there no doubt about being stupidly competative but admit it, we're a sad lot about this sort of thing! :twisted:

Was telling this to a friend who then admitted he'd been going full steam up a hill, 30 miles into a 75 mile ride when he was overtaken. By a lady walking her dog. :oops: I think we'd all agree that's a low point in anyone's cycle career!

Anyone got any other stories, funny or otherwise about low ebbs you'll admit to that'll cheer us up on wet Thursday?

Comments

• Ended up almost under a car tonight....bike not too well had to wait an hour in pissing rain for the wife to pick me up.....does this count as a bad day?
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    Ended up almost under a car tonight....

:shock: Today I hit a off duty cop's car just as he was pulling into the police compound in Longsight probably to start a shift at 5pm.

The traffic was at a standstill and I was going up the bicycle lane, and just as I got near the junction the cars started moving and the cop started turning the corner - just as I was level with his rear wheel - I locked the brakes but still went into his front wing.

Got a swollen right knee, scrapped right wrist and elbow, ripped bar tape, and wet trousers. The perils of cycle lanes......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I've tried to drop my own back wheel a couple of times due to an unusual sound that I think is someone behind me. It's the quiet ones that are the most dangerous though. There's a guy in my club that prides himself on creeping up behind me on long climb and the first thing I hear is "Clink, Clink" as he goes up a couple of gears to fly past.

Worst moment today was a woman that told me to "F*** off" as I let her know I was overtaking her on the right along a cycle path. That actually goes down as the second longest exchange I've ever had with another cyclist along that path so it was nice in a way to be acknowledged.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    Ended up almost under a car tonight....

:shock: Today I hit a off duty cop's car just as he was pulling into the police compound in Longsight probably to start a shift at 5pm.

The traffic was at a standstill and I was going up the bicycle lane, and just as I got near the junction the cars started moving and the cop started turning the corner - just as I was level with his rear wheel - I locked the brakes but still went into his front wing.

Got a swollen right knee, scrapped right wrist and elbow, ripped bar tape, and wet trousers. The perils of cycle lanes......

Oh dear, hope you're not in too much pain. What did the cop say?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Coriander wrote:

Not too much, made sure I was Ok and the bike was Ok, I was only 800m from home anyway. There was nothing really wrong, I've had worse crashes, at higher speeds, so I got up, told him I was ok, he asked if I was sure, and that was it.

Bad idea riding my commuting bike like my training bike (but with brakes that don't stop half aswell :shock: )
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I was about four years old and being given a pillion on the rear rack of an old sit up and beg by one of the mechanics who worked at my dad's garage when I caught my left foot in the spokes of the back wheel. I can still taste the pain now when I think about it, and being in the days when you only went to hospital if you had actually broken something it was never sorted and I still walk with my left foot turned slightly inwards 50 years on.
  • Had a verrrrrry sticky moment earlier this year in the Cotswolds. Myself a nd a cycling buddy did a short 40 mile loop from Chipping Sodbury towards another town (can't remember the name). Anyhooo, the profile of the loop was a big, snaky climb, levelled then gently drop to said town. On way up of said climb I made a note that I couldn't wait to batter it down on the way back.....................................
    Errrrr, Error!!!
    When we reached that same climb on the way back my friend was suffering so he said he'd meet at the bottom...and he almost did!!!! I forgot about a nasty hairpin about half mile down the hill.
    I wonder if you've had that feeling of 'Oh my god, my brakes are locked, my arse is over the back wheel, the bikes bucking like a rabid mustang and here comes the apex!!!'?
    How the bike stopped (underneath one on those black and white chevron signs) I'll never know. I'd like to say it was my excellant bike skills that kept me upright :roll: I was pretty certain I was going to have to make an evasive and throw the bike :roll:

I'll never forget the face of the driver of a BMW as I snaked towards him on the wrong side of the road.

Happy days :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    A couple of years ago I did the London to Brighton with my wife on my MTB. As we were going at her speed the whole way it was a very easy 60 miles, thereby lulling me into a false sense of what my fitness was like. So the weekend after I went out on a hilly ride, mixing on and off road riding, for about 30 miles. I hadn't eaten anything that day and took no water on quite a warm day [idiot]. I went out fast thinking I was some super-fit machine, and about 5 miles from home I just lost all power in my legs. So much so that on the last 2 mile stretch on the (fairly flat) off road walking/cycle path that goes back to my house I found myself progressively shifting into lower and lower gears just to keep going and in real pain, but determined not to stop.

At the end of the cycle path there is a very slight hill - actually it is just an incline - and by this time I'm already in bottom gear and really struggling for each turn of the pedals (remember that this is a triple MTB!). Sweat pouring off me and my face contorted with pain. At that point, my absolute lowest ebb, I was overtaken by a 3 year old girl on her little bike with stabilisers who tinkled her bell at me as she went past. My brain registered what was going on and decided that the best course of action at this point was to shut down my legs completely, so I fell off without even having the strength to put my leg down on the floor (I wasn't even wearing SPDs, just trainers and flats). So I collapse in a heap and watch this little girl whizz off into the distance as her father approaches and asks if I'm alright. Also about 6/7 other people just happen to be walking nearby at the time and see the incident. About as embarrassed as I can get I struggle to my feet and push the bike the last 1/2 mile home, which was painful enough as my legs were still gone...

Definitely the worst experience I've ever had - pain, embarrassment, dehydration, hunger and a complete lack of control over my body... :oops: :oops:
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Hornetto wrote:
    A couple of years ago I did the London to Brighton with my wife on my MTB. As we were going at her speed the whole way it was a very easy 60 miles, thereby lulling me into a false sense of what my fitness was like. So the weekend after I went out on a hilly ride, mixing on and off road riding, for about 30 miles. I hadn't eaten anything that day and took no water on quite a warm day [idiot]. I went out fast thinking I was some super-fit machine, and about 5 miles from home I just lost all power in my legs. So much so that on the last 2 mile stretch on the (fairly flat) off road walking/cycle path that goes back to my house I found myself progressively shifting into lower and lower gears just to keep going and in real pain, but determined not to stop.

At the end of the cycle path there is a very slight hill - actually it is just an incline - and by this time I'm already in bottom gear and really struggling for each turn of the pedals (remember that this is a triple MTB!). Sweat pouring off me and my face contorted with pain. At that point, my absolute lowest ebb, I was overtaken by a 3 year old girl on her little bike with stabilisers who tinkled her bell at me as she went past. My brain registered what was going on and decided that the best course of action at this point was to shut down my legs completely, so I fell off without even having the strength to put my leg down on the floor (I wasn't even wearing SPDs, just trainers and flats). So I collapse in a heap and watch this little girl whizz off into the distance as her father approaches and asks if I'm alright. Also about 6/7 other people just happen to be walking nearby at the time and see the incident. About as embarrassed as I can get I struggle to my feet and push the bike the last 1/2 mile home, which was painful enough as my legs were still gone...

Definitely the worst experience I've ever had - pain, embarrassment, dehydration, hunger and a complete lack of control over my body... :oops: :oops:

I think that is what is termed "the bonk"...Sounds like quite a serious bonk though...hope you learned your lesson :)
  • My most embarrassing moment was when I sped out of my driveway with my head down straight into my neighbours car that was parked across the street. Hey presto, one set of bent forks and a dented car. :oops: :oops:
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Coriander wrote:

Not too much, made sure I was Ok and the bike was Ok, I was only 800m from home anyway. There was nothing really wrong, I've had worse crashes, at higher speeds, so I got up, told him I was ok, he asked if I was sure, and that was it.

Bad idea riding my commuting bike like my training bike (but with brakes that don't stop half aswell :shock: )

Bad luck Sir. Hope you are ok. Bit out of order being taken out by the law itself.... :?
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • when i used to go running i could quite often overtake roadies up steep hills , which felt great . now im cycling i realise how bloody hard it is hauling your body and bike up a steepy !!!
  • Earlier this year I was on my first proper ride of the summer and also after a 6 week work related break from riding. About 20 miles in to a 25 miler I hit a slight incline into the wind in the last really rural stretch of the route and boy was I struggling!! This was made far worse when an old lady (70's ish) wearing a shawl and riding an ancient (but not squeaking) sit up and beg complete with basket, rode straight past with a cheery "Hello dear" and comprehensively rode away from me. The shame, the shame!!! I nearly gave up right there and then and had to wear baggies and a walking gilet rather than full on cycling gear for a couple of weeks.

My only consolations were that no one else saw my humiliation (rural location not trunk road) and she looked to be a proper old fashoined country type who had probably cycled 30-40 miles a day in all conditions for the last 60 years (think Hanna Hauxwell on a bike).

However you look at it, the ego took a good kicking that day.
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • plug1n
    plug1n Posts: 204
    Worst moment was undoubtedly 30 years ago when I had just started commuting.

Going past the old chocolate factory in Willesden, I somehow got myself stuck between the kerb and a flat-bed trailer of an artic doing 30mph, my right shoulder actually under the trailer and my tyres almost touching the kerb.

I still don't know how I survived and have never undertaken a lorry again.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Earlier this year i had a lucky escape with a lorry.As i live in the Netherlands we have apart cycle lanes. As i came round a roundabout on the cycle lane a lorry came round the roundabout on the road and heading in the same direction. We were seperated by a grass strip of about 6Metres wide.
    About 100Metres further is a crossing where i have right of way, I looked at the lorry driver and duly proceeded to cross the junction. At that very same moment the lorry driver (without indicating) turned right crossing my path. I was lucky that i was travelling at speed and managed to go diagonally accross the front of the lorry and lay the bike down, before going down the motorway embankment. The lorry driver jumped out of his wagon, as did the driver of the lorry behind him.
    I spoke to the driver and he said i did not see you, i said i was looking at you from the roundabout, we were looking at each other, he denied this. I asked why did you not indicate, he said i did. I said we have stopped and you still have not indicated, He apologised and said oh i do not know what i was thinking i am very sorry
    Luckily it had been raining and apart from a few scratches me and the bike came off ok.
    I am sure that if i had not seen the lorry turning i would not be here now. The lorry stopped, and the cab was completely over the cycle lane.on reflection it makes me realise that anything can happen on the road.I,ve been riding 30 odd years and have seen a great deal but this incident has really made me to be even more observant, it could save your life.I,m sure that experience saved my life on this occasion. Greetimgs Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    Hornetto wrote:

I think this must be the winning enrty! thanks for sharing this one - made me laugh out loud! :D
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    ARob wrote:
    I think this must be the winning enrty! thanks for sharing this one - made me laugh out loud! :D
    Pleased it made you laugh - it is funny looking back at it but so so embarassing at the time. I feel this strange compulsion to tell people despite the embarassment - maybe it's some sort of cyclists therapy (or just reminding myself never to let myself get in that state again!!).
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Hornetto wrote:
    ARob wrote:
    Pleased it made you laugh - it is funny looking back at it but so so embarassing at the time. I feel this strange compulsion to tell people despite the embarassment - maybe it's some sort of cyclists therapy (or just reminding myself never to let myself get in that state again!!).

i laughed so hard i cried :lol: thank you for sharing
  • Kirklet
    Kirklet Posts: 43
    Coming up to some train lines on my daily commute which cross the road at around 30-40 degrees for the first time on a non mountain bike. I'd already considered the perils of a thin wheel being sucked into the train line so decide to kind of 'bunny hop' my way over each of the four lines, all this on my brand new 700 quid hybrid ! Manage the first 3 but then lose my cool on the fourth one and 'bunny hopped' a smidge too early and land the front wheel straight in the f@#king track. Instantly on my arse and feeling like a right pleb :oops: Lesson learned and I now just kind of flick the bars at the desired moment, no problems since and hopefully never again. I have heard a few fellow bite the dust behind me a couple of times though :shock:
  • This one's easy.

11 April 2007:
    http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2007/09/ ... pened.html

The above beats:
    - being T-boned by a 4WD and having my 3-week old custom frame/bike totalled (I waited 9 months for that bike)
    - having someone in a car pull a gun on me
    - being hit by a drugged niteclubber driving at dawn who ran a stop sign
    - losing 3 feet of skin from my left side when I layed the bike over in a very hot left hander in the Canberra Tour one year
    - breaking a bone in my foot from a crash caused by a pedal failure at full power during match sprint training
    - crashing out of a championship points race when on good form and leading

Race crashes are part of the sport, so they're not so bad. Training crashes are bloody annoying though.

However it all makes the good stuff so much better. :D
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    edited October 2008
    Ignore this...stupid question...
  • This summer at tghe Tour of the Black Mountains.
    15 miles into a 115 mile ride I bonked massively on the first climb of the day. I was fuming I made it round the short loop 85 miles in a masive 7hrs 48!

It was at that point that I realized that I had a virus and it had destroyed my energy levels.
    I should not have gone out.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Crashed in this years Fred Whitton at quite a high speed. Cracked my helmet open and gave myself a dislocated finger, bruised ribs, two swollen ankles, split head and few hundred scratches as I rolled through several bramble bushes.

I still had 80 miles to go and carried on. That day was very hot and I felt terrible once the adrenalin had worn off. I got two punctures that day as well and I just kept thinking this is the worst day ever.
    Brian B.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Brian B wrote:
    Crashed in this years Fred Whitton at quite a high speed. Cracked my helmet open and gave myself a dislocated finger, bruised ribs, two swollen ankles, split head and few hundred scratches as I rolled through several bramble bushes.

I still had 80 miles to go and carried on. That day was very hot and I felt terrible once the adrenalin had worn off. I got two punctures that day as well and I just kept thinking this is the worst day ever.

Mirrors my Etape Experience. I crashed before the Tourmalet, no breakages but some nasty flesh wounds and heavy bruising on my hip arm and shoulder. I carried on as well but the subsequent pain combined with 2 Hors catégorie climbs, constant drizzle and losing touch with my riding buddies didn't really make for the day I'd hoped for!

Getting knocked off my bike by a black cab a few years ago was my worst experience though, I landed on my face!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    What bike were you on jashburnham and was it alright? Thats a long way to go to get a bad experience. I have done the Tourmalet from that side and its a cracking climb if the weather is good(and was if you are feeling okay). Must be something daft about cyclists as I have seen many casualties in sportives and most people carry on regardless if they can.
    Brian B.
  • For me there are two:

1. Getting nailed by a transit van wing mirror near St Kilda junction - I still remember sliding along the road looking at the car behind locking his brakes up, he missed me by about one meter.
    2. Being the first to a guy who ran hard into the rear of a parked hatchback on Beach Rd near the Brighton Baths, his forehead hit the rim of the rear screen just underneath his helmet (I will not give the details).

Then there is always the long ride where every gear feels bad and you pop with 50km to go........... :)
    There's no time for hesitating.
    Pain is ready, pain is waiting.
    Primed to do it's educating.
  • Hit by a car cycling back to school this summer.
    Broken and dislocated right (writing) hand, which required 50 stiches and 3 pieces of metal to reconstruct. The operation took place 3 weeks before my A2s so I had to use a scribe and voice recognition software (not too useful for Shakespearean English, West Indian patois, and Economic terminology)!
    Driver didn't stop and I couldn't read the plate.
    Couldn't arrange a lift back to school, so had to complete the remaining 18 miles on my bike.
    Mind you, got in to my uni and the bike is now fine so it could have been worse!
  • This one's easy.

11 April 2007:
    http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2007/09/ ... pened.html

The above beats:
    - being T-boned by a 4WD and having my 3-week old custom frame/bike totalled (I waited 9 months for that bike)
    - having someone in a car pull a gun on me
    - being hit by a drugged niteclubber driving at dawn who ran a stop sign
    - losing 3 feet of skin from my left side when I layed the bike over in a very hot left hander in the Canberra Tour one year
    - breaking a bone in my foot from a crash caused by a pedal failure at full power during match sprint training
    - crashing out of a championship points race when on good form and leading

Race crashes are part of the sport, so they're not so bad. Training crashes are bloody annoying though.

However it all makes the good stuff so much better. :D

Alex...unfortunately I think you may be the winner in this little competition. Even if you hadn't mentioned the leg you would probably still have won for the other crap you have had to put up with. Makes me not want to get on the bike anymore!! :)
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    I landed on my face!

I did that last weekend. Getting knocked off by a car that didn't stop at a Give Way sign earlier in the summer was probably worse, and kept me off my bike for longer, but I didn't have to have my teeth rebuilt after that one.
  • stfc1 wrote:
    I landed on my face!

I did that last weekend. Getting knocked off by a car that didn't stop at a Give Way sign earlier in the summer was probably worse, and kept me off my bike for longer, but I didn't have to have my teeth rebuilt after that one.
    Ouch. I have a racing colleague here who was the victim of idiot kids who strung up a wire across a bike path and he ended up having same.

What was the catch call from Hill St Blues - "Be careful out there!"?