Polka Dot Challenge/"Spud" Riley Memorial 2009

shy tot
shy tot Posts: 111
Next year we are only running one event in place of our usual two. This is due to the fact its been harder & more time consuming each year to organise two & this year its been extra hard to pull it off due to health problems affecting both Dave and his wife.
The team I rely on to organise these events are not getting any younger (55yrs--78yrs) & with ancillary things like Health & Safety, Risk assessments, Insurance, etc. etc. things are only going to get more difficult in the future.
Our one event will be run on the first Sunday in June(7th) & will be on the original "Spud" Riley course. It will be known as The Polkadot--"Spud" Riley Memorial Gran Fondo (or similar) & will be run on our tried & tested formula with tweaks here & there to improve it. H.Q. is at the same venue with adequate free parking. The reason it is being run on the "Spud" course is that it is a tougher ride, much quieter roads("B" & unclassified), & the feedback from riders over the last 8yrs is that this course is much safer & more pleasant to ride. Whilst the original Polkadot course has all the "named" climbs on it, they are all on very busy "A" roads, indeed there are 73mls of "A" roads on it! The web-site will remain the same (www.polkadotchallenge.co.uk) but will be eventually modified to reflect the change.
To all the riders who have supported our rides over the past 8yrs we would like to thank you all & we can assure you of a very warm welcome to our event next year. This years two events raised £16,000 for Christies Cancer Hospital taking our total donations to £50,000 over the 8yrs we've been doing them --Thanks to you all.

Comments

• Sorry to hear that the Polka Dot route is being canned, but if one of the two had to go, I think you've made the right choice. The Spud's a nicer and harder course, and if I manage to get a place in next year's event then I'll be back.

Thanks for all your efforts to date - much appreciated.
  • Many thanks shy tot for putting on his event over the last few years...great job for Christies!
    I'll see you on the 7th . I know the roads well although I've never done the Spud.

Steve
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    Shy Tot, please pass on the following to Dave:

Dave, all the best with it in 2009 and keep in touch. As someone who knows what it is like, If you need or want any support (I'm not just talking about the sportive) please don't hesitate to contact me.

Good luck mate...
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    Have ridden both events 3/4 times in recent years, and as has been said, if 1 route had to be binned then the Polka Dot is the right one. I was thinking of only entering the Spud anyway next year, such is the volume of traffic these days on the Polka Dot. However, now the Spud has effectively been brought forward, what's going to keep my training focused into September?!
  • Have you given any thought to the poor sods that the polkadot half killed this year. The spud will pat the soil down nicely. :shock: :(
    Dan
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Have you given any thought to the poor sods that the polkadot half killed this year. The spud will pat the soil down nicely. :shock: :(

wasn't so much the route as the rain!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    a_n_t wrote:
    wasn't so much the route as the rain!!

Hehehe ! I was away riding in Sunny Italy, otherwise I'd have been drowned with you :P