Turbo trainer set up

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
hi all i bought a taxx turbo trainer and set it up but not sure it is set up right
it has a lever with 1-10 on it which is for the resistance but i feel there should be a bigger difference between number 1 and 10 once i set lever to number 2 or 3 say it becomes quite difficult should these be equivelent of riding on a flat road until say number 4-5?
:oops:

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    volvine wrote:
    hi all i bought a taxx turbo trainer and set it up but not sure it is set up right
    it has a lever with 1-10 on it which is for the resistance but i feel there should be a bigger difference between number 1 and 10 once i set lever to number 2 or 3 say it becomes quite difficult should these be equivelent of riding on a flat road until say number 4-5?
    :oops:

As far as trainers go I wouldn't worry about whether any number is equal to flats or hills.
    Put it on some number, if it's way too difficult or easy either change the 1 thru 10 number
    or shift your bike to an easier or harder gear. Trainers are really not equal to anything.
    They are just trainers that help keep your legs in shape during weather that you can't
    or won't ride in. I get the impression that most people use them pretty much only for
    an hour or so at a time for high intensity work. Too boring to do any real time on. If you have a heart rate monitor use it to make sure you're keeping your heart rate up and if you have a cadence counter you can work on your spinning.

Dennis Noward
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Hey there,

I have a Tacx 1810. I have found that resistance number six is quite similair to riding on the road in terms of speed and gearing, so I usually leave it on that setting and put it into a big gear for the intervals.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    hi there my number six would be like riding up a 15% gradient thats what i mean i don't know if it is set up correctly i have to have it in number 1-3 max and i am reasonably fit on the bike. :cry: