Hardshell bike boxes on Jet2 flights

JJDLD
JJDLD Posts: 75
Hi,

I posed this on the Tour forum, but thought you guys might be able to help too...

Hoping to ride the Maratona next year - it will be the first time I've taken a bike abroad. Looking at flying Jet2 to Venice, taking the bike in a hardshell box / case (i.e. not a soft bag). Jet2 website says 25kg is the maximum weight that they'll accept for any single item, except for "certain items of sports equipment", for which the maximum is 32kg. I'm guessing that a good quality hardshell case with a bike inside will be heading towards to 25kg and might even be above, so my question is, does anybody know if a bike in a hardshell case is does fall in to Jet2's "certain items of sports equipment" category?

Ta,

JJ.

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    My case and bike is 25kgs.
    I would think it classes as sports equipment. Why don't you try asking them?
  • JJDLD
    JJDLD Posts: 75
    :) Thanks Shazzz,

I have tried asking them, but you know what these budget arilines are like to try and get hold of, let alone get a straight answer from, so I thought I'd get a more authoritative answer from the guys in the know on here.

Thanks again,

JJ.