Which is the best bike from these two options...

jon_e00
jon_e00 Posts: 64
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I have been looking at a number of 2nd hand bikes. I have approximately £400 to spend.
I have found two bikes so far that interest me.

1. Giant SCR 1.0 - http://www.gumtree.com/london/24/26453924.html

26453924__1216568116__0__3-7a64926f3e1380fcc1dac9025ca0d2da.__big__.jpg

2. Condor Fratello - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200257445560&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

976e_1.JPG

Which of these two bikes are the best? I understand they both have Shimano 105 groupset. The Giant has had less use then the Condor.

Decisions, decision?!

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I can't see a size on the Giant, but assuming they're both the correct size, I'd go for the Condor.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • jon_e00
    I can't see a size on the Giant, but assuming they're both the correct size, I'd go for the Condor.

Thanks for your opinion. Are there any reasons why you would choose the Condor?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would say the Condor, however it seems to have a very long head tube and a low seat height, suggesting it is a very big frame and too big for the current owner (who says he is 6ft tall - if its too big for him, its a massive frame). A badly fitting bike, however good that bike is, will not be a good buy for you. Check out the sizes carefully (details from owners, then check the geometries online with Giant and Condor).
  • jon_e00
    alfablue wrote:
    I would say the Condor, however it seems to have a very long head tube and a low seat height, suggesting it is a very big frame and too big for the current owner (who says he is 6ft tall - if its too big for him, its a massive frame). A badly fitting bike, however good that bike is, will not be a good buy for you. Check out the sizes carefully (details from owners, then check the geometries online with Giant and Condor).

that is a very good point. I had noticed that the seat is relatively low and if the owner is 6ft1" then it is going to be a big frame. I myself am 6ft1". I have spoken to the owner of the Giant and the frame is Large which is 58". He also said that there is not a mark/scratch on the Giant and it as good as new.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Im six one and no way would I ride the condor it looks to be over 60cm in size would suggest you need to be in the region of 6-4 to ride it.

Recently went from a 58cm steel to a 56 cm carbon - 56 feels a good fit with a 120 stem - better then the 58cm Peugot.

Suggest you try a couple of bikes in that size range before you part with your money.
  • Also the Condor is a 53/39 and the Giant is a compact, 50/34

If you are just getting into road cycling you may find that 53 hard work, the Giant is going to be easier to ride.
    Is it raining yet?
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Go for the Giant. That's one ugly Condor!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    That is one Huuuuuuuuuugggggge headtube on that Condor........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pllb
    pllb Posts: 158
    I had a sit on a Giant Defy 58cm which is XL in Giant sizing (replaces SCR) last weekend, also sat on Giant SCR 2 at 55.5cm which is L in Giant sizing. I am 6ft 3in with inseam at 34inches. Both bikes felt ok, I felt slightly more stretched out on the XL but I don't think that would be a major problem for me but I am a bit taller than the OP.
  • The Condor is far too big for you
  • doherty916 wrote:
    The Condor is far too big for you

The condor is huge.....I would go for the Giant if the fit is right.
    I am 5'11 and got a SCR1.5 last week....got the 55.5cm frame and it feels about right for my height.
    Can't fault the build quality and the gears are sweet....even though mine are only Tiagra..
    I like the compact for general cycling but not sure about top end speed although I have chickened out at 39mph before my legs were at their max speed...lots of wobble generated by a dodgy road surface!!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • jon_e00
    jon_e00 wrote:

If I went for the GIant SCR 1.0 I would require to purchase some temporary pedals instead of using the spd pedals straight away.

I have been looking at alloy pedals with toe-straps. Is this recommended and do you recommend any specific pedals?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    The Condor looks totally out of the proportion the frame is huge the wheels look too small. It's an ugly bike and no one will want to buy it off you when you want to get rid. People will always want to buy Giant bikes. Says me who has a SCR2!!
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Go for the Giant !
    Before I do :lol:
  • jon_e00
    Red Devil wrote:
    Go for the Giant !
    Before I do :lol:

After posting a link to the Giant a few days ago I did think "sh*t, what if someone else now buys it!"

Am going to have a look at it Sunday.
  • I have used toe straps, MBT clipless and SPD's and up to a point they are all the same, you have to remember to pull your foot out when you stop.

If you haven't got shoes with cleats - and I'm sure you haven't - then I'd just get a very cheap pair if resin pedals for now and have a look around for some road shoes. I wouldn't waste too much money on alloys + straps, you will soon want to change.
    Is it raining yet?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    agree, toe straps are a red herring, they are trikier than SPD's so just start with flatties.
  • jon_e00
    unfortunately I'm recovering from a nasty leg break and have got nerve problems in my right foot. For a few months I will still be unable to feel and locate my left foot without looking at the foot. Because of this I will want to have my feet 'strapped' in.

Can anyone recommend a pedal/strap set that can be bought online?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I'm 6!1.5" and have a large Giant TCR carbon frame - it fits perfectly and you should be fine with it - you are mid-way in the height range recommended for the large size.

Use the SPDs fom the off though!

You north or south pembs?