Frame length

nipon
nipon Posts: 68
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
We all know you can work out your frame size by measuring your inseam and doing the sums,but it dousnt work that well if you have short legs and a long body ,is there a way of working out the top tube length by measuring your body and arms?

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    yep sit on the bike and use your lbs not some crappy faceless internet seller!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Ideal top tube length isn't as closely related to body dimensions as saddle height is, because it doesn't just depend on torso length and arm length, but also on flexibility, core strength and personal preference.

If you are just starting out and have no idea what your ideal reach is, but think it is longer than average, you will probably be able to get it right by fitting the right stem, assuming the frame isn't on the small side for you to begin with. Unless you are a real uran-utan... :wink:
  • This will give you a ballpark idea...
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If it helps any, I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I ride 56/7cm bikes which generally have a 555mm to 570mm top tube. I use a 110mm or 120mm stem depending on which bike it is.

I fear I might fit into neeb's "Real Orangutan" category.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    This will give you a ballpark idea...
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

I wouldn't use this as law though, it suggests anything from 58 to 61 for me but theses frames would all be to big i currently have a 54 and a 57 frame and am getting a shorter stem for the 57 as it feels slightly to big, imo :?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Remember that fit is very personal, even if you have two people with identical dimensions, they might prefer different fits and/or different frame size.

If you don't know what geometry you want, and you are not confident of working it yourself I'd suggest going to a "bike fitter" (and even then different fitters may recommend something different).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr