Another saddle height question

xgeek
xgeek Posts: 117
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

I got a new bike on Saturday and I have a question about saddle height :wink:. I have read up on most methods (heal, inseam x 109%, inseam x 88.3% etc) and I now have a good starting point to find my ideal height.

But with any of these methods my seat post looks very high out of the quick lock mount. It is not out as far as the safety line but it is out a good 10 inches. If I get the bike level and look along the saddle the saddle is slightly higher than the center of the handle bars but not higher than the handle bar grips.

So my question is this:- is it normal to have the post so far out and does the height in relation to the bars seem normal? It almost looks like I need a bigger frame to swallow some of the post, but if I straddle the frame and put both feet on the floor my dangly bits are about half an inch clear of the bar. :wink:

Any advise or reassurance would be most welcome.

BTW the bike is an Aggressor XCR 08

Cheers
XG

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it is normal.

unless the bike is too small for you.

have a look at just about every XC bike and that is how many are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    Okay many thanks.

I did look at photos on the websites of bike shops and for the most part they all seem low. The only image I could find that looked similar to mine was this one from the merlin site and I think this is just a bit higher than mine:-

Will keep an eye out for real bikes that have been adjusted for a rider and see how they compare.. Just seems a bit odd looking :lol:

00002096.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mine

img2001sv6.th.jpg

clicky for bigger.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Does it feel comfortable to ride as it is? or do you feel like your pitched forward too much. If you feel you are you might want to add some spacers or a longer stem
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Is normal - sure a mate told me it was supposed to be 2 inches above your stem - not sure where he got that from!

See my bike in sig pic. Looks weird, but as long as i'm comfortable and get a full stroke out of my legs, i'm happy. Bit disconcerting when you can't easily touch the floor with your feet though!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    bells0 wrote:
    Bit disconcerting when you can't easily touch the floor with your feet though!

That's what trackstands are for...
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Arse up, head down, the perfect riding stance in my opinion.

Can get a little wild down hill though! Just make sure you've enough room to get off the back comfortably.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    My seat is (er was :evil: ) very high so its ok and perfectly normal, check old red in my sig for a pic.