sizing??

nam
nam Posts: 25
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
this may or may not have been covered but here goes.is it better to get a slightly bigger frame or smaller??
i'm 5ft4" and im looking at a 15" orange g3.the only thing is i have visions of looking like one of those bmx chaps with a tiny bike where your knees come up to your chest when u peddle!!i tried a 17" p7 but that doesnt give me too much space between my soft bits and the frame and they dont do a 16" frame which is what my current ride is.
any suggestions??and dont say try another make as it took me long enough to decide on this one!! :roll:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you get the one that fits best.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    As Nicklouse says really - whatever you feel fits best. Personally I prefer my bike to be small, I'm 5'10 and have a 16" frame. Other people prefer to be stretched out on the bike more. There's no right or wrong answer unfortunately - whatever works best for you!
  • nam
    nam Posts: 25
    cool,gonna go with the 15 as i can raise or lower the seat or shorten/raise the stem.
    cheers
  • paul_GY
    paul_GY Posts: 50
    I've just been shopping for a bike with a small ( 15") frame, looked at loads and they don't look much different to a 17".
  • I agree with the general consensus here. You should always go with what feels right for you. I am 5'9" and ride with a 19 inch frame Kona Blast, one of the friends I ride with is the same height as me and has a 20 inch frame, whereas another friend who is 5'10" has an 18 inch frame. The one thing we all have in common is that what we have is comfortable for each of us. There is simply no hard and fast rule on this.
    Ridley Orion
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The 15" will be a stiffer frame and it's lighter. I'm 5'5" and have always had a small frame, my rigid from the mid 80's was built for me and it's only 14".
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"