Bought my bike - Saddle question

bonyjoe
bonyjoe Posts: 48
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Finally got my bike cost £350 after discount and got a lock, pump and multitool free.

Carrera Kraken LTD

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

Bike Spec:

RockShox Dart 2
Avid Juicy 3 - White
Aluminium 7005 Frame
SRAM X-5 Gears and triggers
Truvativ Isoflow Chainset
Conti Speed King Tires

So far the bike is great, just having to get used to the powerful brakes and the gearing as its been a long time since I've used a bike with gears :oops:
However after riding it a bit I have found that the saddle is uncomfortable, not tht it looked comfortable anyway :?

DSC00058.jpg

Any recommendations on a good comfortable cheapish saddle, around £20-30?

Would highly recommend this bike. Normally £429.99

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    bonyjoe wrote:
    Any recommendations on a good comfortable cheapish saddle, around £20-30?

Charge Spoon.
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    Charge Spoon, as above, or an SDG Bel Air. Both good quality budget saddles.
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • bullcross
    bullcross Posts: 274
    id stick with the 1 on it for a bit
    they need breaking in :wink:
    focus superbud
  • A16UYF
    A16UYF Posts: 66
    Im with the rest of you guys the Charge spoon, especially on Ti rails.
    Cube Sting SCR (custom build)
    Spesh allez (factory build)
  • bonyjoe
    Thanks for the input people, will take a look at the charge spoon
    bullcross wrote:

Yeah but theres like no padding on it lol :shock:
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    The Charge Spoon is surprisingly void of padding, but i find mine comfortable, padding doesn't always equate to comfort
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bonyjoe wrote:
    Thanks for the input people, will take a look at the charge spoon
    bullcross wrote:

Yeah but theres like no padding on it lol :shock:

you dont want padding.

Seriously give it some time. As both your rear and the saddle need to become friends.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bonyjoe
    Ok will give it some time then.

Gotta raise the saddle height a smidgen too as I noticed my knee was slightly bent when it was at the bottom of a pedal turn. That should help a bit.
  • davetwin
    davetwin Posts: 68
    edited October 2008
    My botty :lol: was hurting for days after my first ride of 10 miles. This was after 13 years of not riding.

I went out and bought some altura padded shorts and have had no problems since
    Returning to MTB'ing after 13 year break: Merida Matts Sub 60d

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_1243.jpg
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Fizik Nisene- £17 from CRC.

My arse hurt after 10 minutes on my Scott saddle; have done 6 hrs on the Fizik and didn't once think about the saddle :)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I like your white Dart2 and the white Juicy's.
    And I've noticed that the stanchions look a bit too high on the Dart. Is it with 120mm?
    Goooood bike. Enjoy the ride. :D
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    yep looking at your seat height I would presume your occupation is stand in for garden gnomes :lol: . Seriously I think you would be more comfortable with the seat raised. For a start point your knee should be slightly bent when the pedal is at its maximum distance from you and your heel is on the pedal. Then have a mate hold the bike and back pedal. If you are rocking side to side then drop the saddle til the rocking stops.

Use this seat height as your start and make minor adjustments from there.

The only time I would use a seat taht low would be running a downhill course.
  • bullcross
    bullcross Posts: 274
    padded shorts is all u need
    focus superbud
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    When I got back into cycling after a few days I couldn't get on with the saddle so ordered a Charge spoon, by the time it arrived (a week later) I found the original saddle comfortable. Still fitted the Spoon and it was uncomfortable for a couple of days but you adapt and I've used it happily for a year since. If you've not ridden much for a while I'd give your current saddle at least 10 rides (assuming 3-4 rides a week) to prove itself. If you still find it uncomfortable then I'd add my vote to the Charge Spoon ones...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nice buy- I've got the standard Kraken with the Suntour forks and Tektro brakes, it's decent enough for the money so these upgrades look verra nice.

Anyhoo- I've found the saddle, which is the same as yours, to be fairly comfy- it's got almost no padding but it's well shaped and has a bit of spring in it. Bad padded seats are worse than firm ones usually.

But it's very weak- the rails are long and bend easily, I flipped the bike last week and one rail basically collapsed right to the seat base, not a very hard landing either. It straightened easily but it'll do it again. So, given up on that. Charge Spoon is on its way and will be fitted soon. Just the cromo rails version, the ti one only saves about 15 grams for your £20. It just seems the smart option just now.

Oh yeah- the pedals are HORRIBLE, they're V8 knockoffs but have no grip at all. And I've found it very front-endy with the fairly high front and riser bars, just put flats on it and it's far better. Obviously you've got the nicer forks but the geometry looks about the same.
    Uncompromising extremist