Vino

2»

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Has anyone tried the Oyster Bay (Another NZ winery) Merlot or Pinot Noir... stunning stuff with the former on special at ocado certainly worth a punt.
    quote]

Their SB is pretty decent stuff.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Oddbins always used to have a wine tasting on Saturday afternoons. Good wines and good prices.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Has anyone tried the Oyster Bay (Another NZ winery) Merlot or Pinot Noir... stunning stuff with the former on special at ocado certainly worth a punt.
    quote]

indeed... Itake it you prefer whites?

Try some Gavi de Gavi, it's Itailian and has some good weight
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Oh yes for you wine clubbers avoid Laithwaites their selection of reds esp Rioja is poor imo

a couple of meh's and one yuk I'm not drinking that from both of us
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I rather like Netto's red "Baron Romero". Spanish, light and about two quid a bottle. Must have drunk gallons of it over the years.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    <i>I generally like very heavy reds, but want to learn! </i>

Personal favourite big red bargains are in Southern Italy - Puglia, Sicily.

Just seen this
    http://www.tesco.com/winestore/controll ... R=12613526
    It's OK at full price but with 50% off at £3.79 per bottle for a half case it's a steal.

CP has just had a pop at Laithwaites. Fair enough but the one thing they certainly do well is Italian Reds. THis one is absolutely fantabulous for £8 a bottle
    http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/article~id ... 53692.aspx

On the whole Cloudy Bay thing, the first time I drank it (5 years ago?) I thought it was wonderful but I opened a bottle of the 2007 a month ago and thought it was a bit ordinary. Nice SB but worth the premium over more humble NZ like Montana Reserve SB? Not at all sure.

Personal fave whites are white burgundies - great, well balanced alrounders. Chablis can be wonderful but you pay a chunk and sometimes it's disappointing. AT the cheaper end of Burgundy this is a good one:
    http://www.virginwines.com/product/prod ... 2950823819

Hic

J
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I'm quite partial to the occasional half bottle of Blue Nun.

NNNOOOOO SOOOOO WRONG save your palate mate
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    quote]

Yep. Used to love red's - particularly spanish Rioja's, but don't like them now. I also have an irrational hatred of Chilean Merlot - I've never tried one that had any redeeming qualities at all.

These days I'm rather tied to NZ and English whites.
  • jedster wrote:
    <i>I generally like very heavy reds, but want to learn! </i>

Personal favourite big red bargains are in Southern Italy - Puglia, Sicily.

Just seen this
    http://www.tesco.com/winestore/controll ... R=12613526
    It's OK at full price but with 50% off at £3.79 per bottle for a half case it's a steal.

Hic

J

Thanks for that! I'll have a go!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Not sure if its been mentioned already, buta decent Argentinian Malbec with a bloody steak and chips is like sex on legs.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    quote]

Yep. Used to love red's - particularly spanish Rioja's, but don't like them now. I also have an irrational hatred of Chilean Merlot - I've never tried one that had any redeeming qualities at all.
    These days I'm rather tied to NZ and English whites.

I'm talking about Oyster Bay not Cloudy Bay btw...

In fairness to Laithwaites they stock Black Stump which is so damn heavy it must have got lead in it... nice though
    Sewinman wrote:
    Not sure if its been mentioned already, buta decent Argentinian Malbec with a bloody steak and chips is like sex on legs.

Amen to that

Alos the more recent inclusion of Vigoner in wines can only be considered a good thing both for red (Shiraz in particular) and whites
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5