The Jethro Tule Spanner

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited October 2008 in The workshop
Any good?

bottom of the page
http://www.hubjub.co.uk/surly/surly.htm

I'm looking at reducing the weight I'm carrying so a strong lightweight spanner for track nuts would be great

if not any other suggestions?

cheers
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Must stay away from the sites like this as I look at all the goodies and want to buy them. Going to be hard pressed to not buy some MKS tugs next.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    What I carry is a 15mm ring spanner with the other end re-shaped to form a tyre lever.

I've always found one lever enough to get a tyre off, so (with a Q/R front hub) this is the only tool you need to be able to make use of a spare tube & pump.

I had a good look for one of these to buy but couldn't find one, so I bought a secondhand spanner and reworked the end with an angle grinder...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    I just have those cheap little tyre irons which weight nothing....

spanner opinions people!!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Pat920
    Pat920 Posts: 55
    I got the Jethro Tule from Pearsons with my Touche. It works fine - the pad on it is comfortable, and the ring is angled to fit either side. And it is a nice object to have.

The bottle opener rather ruins it (IMHO) it's a bit sharp and likely to snag things in my bag. I would prefer a Campag Peanut Butter spanner, but they are hard to come by. The idea of a combined tyre lever/spanner appeals - Surly should take note.

How about a combined frame fit pump, tyre level, spanner?
  • Dustine
    Dustine Posts: 184
    I have a Jethro and its great. I still carry a Cool Tool, mind, which always did the track nut removal job before, since it has a chain tool and allen keys etc. But the Jethro is better for the track nuts, its a better fit than whats essentially an adjustable spanner. I would buy one if i were you.
  • Clever Pun
    Pat920 wrote:
    I got the Jethro Tule from Pearsons with my Touche. It works fine - the pad on it is comfortable, and the ring is angled to fit either side. And it is a nice object to have.

The bottle opener rather ruins it (IMHO) it's a bit sharp and likely to snag things in my bag. I would prefer a Campag Peanut Butter spanner, but they are hard to come by. The idea of a combined tyre lever/spanner appeals - Surly should take note.

How about a combined frame fit pump, tyre level, spanner?

thanks

*cough*
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=campagnolo+spanner#item260283304761
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    A sound bit of kit, tactile (!) and you can get a lot of torque for such a small spanner. Light it aint though..

What about hex-nuts and a longish hex key, as i think Hubjub do also?

BTW - can't help 'bigging up' Hubjub - fantastic service :D