Cannondale Capo Optimo 2007 vs.Boardman Comp 08 vs. Trek 1.5

rondog
rondog Posts: 2
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I am looking into buying a road bike for the first time. After hours of surfing the net 2 names seem to keep coming up, the Boardman comp 08 and the Trek 1.5. Both of these bikes have similar prices and ratings. Another bike which i have come across is the Cannondale Capo CAAD5 Optimo 2007, which has a heavy £250 discount, now only £550, £50 cheaper than the other two bikes.

Anyway i was basically wondering if anyone had these bikes, or could shed some light, or if there were any other bikes i should consider, which would help make the decision a little easier.

Thanks in advance for any cooperation.

:)

Comments

• I have just bought my first road bike, I was looking at spending £500. I had narrowed it down from many, to pretty much deciding I was going to buy a Giant SCR 1.5. Reduced from £650 to £500.

....But then......

I found out Halfords were doing 10% off Boardman bikes, so I got a Boardman Road Comp for £539.99. I had to do a 140 mile round trip to find one in stock, but I love it now. They see to have stopped the discount for now, but they're always doing 10% days on their website, so keep a look out. The new 09 Boardman models are supposedly out on Oct 17th, according to one Halfords branch, so that is why they are discounting what stock they have left.

The bike is brilliant, I'm really pleased with it. As I said, it's my first road bike, so coming from a full sus MTB it feels SO fast. I've never owned a bike with drop bars before, so was a bit aprehensive, but I'm glad I went for a full roadie not a flat bar job, as the multiple hand positions are very welcome on rides. I'm now running Crank Bros Smarty pedals, the same as on my MTB. I think this is a good plan on multiple bikes, as it means:
    a) Only 1 pair of shoes needed, for now.
    b) Clipping in and out is instinctive, so one less thing to worry about.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Cannondale... the only regret you'll have is why you didn't do it sooner.
    Every winner has scars.
  • jon_e00
    jon_e00 Posts: 64
    I have just bought my first road bike, I was looking at spending £500. I had narrowed it down from many, to pretty much deciding I was going to buy a Giant SCR 1.5. Reduced from £650 to £500.

Can I ask where you saw the Giant SCR for £500?
    I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand SCR 1.0 for £400.
    Is the SCR 1.0 much better than the SCR 1.5??
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    It hurts me to say it but the smartest looking bike at this price is.....

...from Halfords. The Cannondale may be a better investment if you can get it at a good price though.
  • jon_e00 wrote:
    I have just bought my first road bike, I was looking at spending £500. I had narrowed it down from many, to pretty much deciding I was going to buy a Giant SCR 1.5. Reduced from £650 to £500.

Can I ask where you saw the Giant SCR for £500?
    I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand SCR 1.0 for £400.
    Is the SCR 1.0 much better than the SCR 1.5??

Try googling "Giant SCR 1.5". There were loads of websites doing it for that price. That was 2 weeks ago, so some may have sold out now.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've had my boardman comp for a year now. this too was my first road bike after several years mtb'ing. I can't compare it with the other bikes though, no experience of them.

I've changed a few things, compact bars and a longer stem, 12-27 cassette, 34th inner chainring, brookes b17 narrow saddle, serfas seco tyres.

I needed bigger gears to get up the hills.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails