I need a new frame!!!

Cycling Dave
Cycling Dave Posts: 79
edited October 2008 in Tour & expedition
I've toured and commuted on my Raleigh Randonneur for around a year and a half and have now finally decided that it's too small and I need a new one.

I want a frame that aint too dear, but is of similar quality to the randy. I like frames that look like shit, but are v good. I like my bike to suggest poverty. Is there a route I should go down for a frame that doesn't involve e-bay?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Thorn do good frames, not the lightest but a good reputation. They aren't at all flashy, from around £400. Alternatively, Surly do nice frames, also understated, like the Long Haul Trucker, around £325, also highly rated. Neither may be as elegant (if thats the right word?) as the Randy, but quality and design are good. Or what about a Condor Heritage, £499, a good looker, got 9/10 in C+ review last year.

For the real poverty look, wrap the frame with black electrical tape (I couldn't do this myself!). Any new frame is going to shine a bit.
  • Why not go for a really good quality second hand steel frame ?
    Try the classifides if you dont want to go the ebay route.
    I got mine on ebay, a 531 Mercian, it deffinatly had the poverty look going on. :wink:
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.mailorderbikes.com/products. ... b0s20p1576

This is one i currently recommend for understated efficiency.
    But any new bike will look new unless you deliberately ruin the finish. I have never yet seen anyone do that , though it is sometimes discussed to put off thieves .
    TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Thanks folks.

I reckon I'm sold on the surly. It looks ideal.Only £325! Awesome.
  • alfablue
    Thanks folks.

I reckon I'm sold on the surly. It looks ideal.Only £325! Awesome.
    Yeah, it is a nice frame and seems to have everything a perfect touring frame needs. Reading the blurb on Wiggle makes me want one too! Show us some pics when you get it built up.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There seem to be an awful lot of American bikers raving about the Surly - but that may have something to do with the fact that the complete bike retails for something like $750 - which makes £325 for the frame alone look a bit steep.

My other suggestion would be a Planet-X Kaffenback. Steel frame. Not too heavy. All the bits you need to attach panniers etc.
  • vbc
    vbc Posts: 1,104
    The Aravis Super Tourist frame from Byercycles http://www.byercycles.co.uk/bikeprice%2 ... R1008.html looks pretty good for £310.
  • £325 might look a bit steep, but I've heard great things about it and I also don't need to buy anything else. I'll just transfer my equipment on the randy to the surly.i

The Aravis Super Tourist reads as a good frame, but it looks too flashy. I like my bikes to look a bit impoverished.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd look at planet-x or On-one for a good steel frame.
  • alfablue
    I am a Planet-X fan generally but I was rather disappointed to see a fairly new looking Kaffenback recently with rust spots around some of the welds and cable braze ons - maybe the finish is variable or not too great.
  • £325 might look a bit steep, but I've heard great things about it and I also don't need to buy anything else. I'll just transfer my equipment on the randy to the surly.quote]

Watch out for the wheel sizes on the LHT. The smaller frames (54cm and below) are 26" wheels only.
    My wife has one, it's a great bike.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    alfablue wrote:
    I am a Planet-X fan generally but I was rather disappointed to see a fairly new looking Kaffenback recently with rust spots around some of the welds and cable braze ons - maybe the finish is variable or not too great.

People have said that - though I've no complaints about athe finish on any of the three Planet-X/On-One frames I own. But frankly for the price (£156) you could afford to have it powdercoated and still have a bargain.
  • alfablue
    andymiller wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

People have said that - though I've no complaints about athe finish on any of the three Planet-X/On-One frames I own. But frankly for the price (£156) you could afford to have it powdercoated and still have a bargain.
    True, it is still a well priced frame.