Will it explode....

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Got my first track pump at the weekend and was trying to get what I think is the right pressure (100-110psi) into the tyres. However, gave up at c.95psi as (a) the tyre seems rock hard (b) I was afraid of bursting it!

Should I be able to get 110psi into them?

I have a Cannondale Synapse with Vittoria Zafiro tyres. Rider on the heavy side at 15st!

Thanks

Comments

• check the outside of the tyre. The Maximum psi should be written there. You should be fine though I run my tyres at 120psi (Conti Attack/Force23mm)
  • Road Red wrote:
    Got my first track pump at the weekend and was trying to get what I think is the right pressure (100-110psi) into the tyres. However, gave up at c.95psi as (a) the tyre seems rock hard (b) I was afraid of bursting it!

Should I be able to get 110psi into them?

I have a Cannondale Synapse with Vittoria Zafiro tyres. Rider on the heavy side at 15st!

Thanks

Most narrow (25mm or less) 700c road tyres these days should manage at least 100psi; anything less and the ride will be slow and a bit bumpy (too little air is as bad as too much!) in any case. Based on my experience with Rubino Pros, 110 sounds about right for a Vittoria model, as these things tend to vary from one maker to another (some Vredesteins will go up to a whopping 175 psi!!).

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I just had a similar issue with my track pump since I switched from slicked-up MTB to road bike.

The pump was fine to the 80psi I would put in the mtb tyres but to 110 for the road bike a hell of a struggle. I was literally putting my entire weight on the handle to get the extra air in the tyre.

I figure that the pump isnt rated for more than about 95-100psi.
  • you may be just putting air into the pump tube.

Before attaching the pump press the valve in and let some air out, the valves do get sticky.
  • one of my track pumps only cost £4.99 and I can get up to 120psi without any problems. Maybe some dumbells would be a wise investment!! :wink:
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I wouldn't overdo the pressure, but at 15st you would need the higher end pressure, 115-120 should be fine, though it would depend on the tyre so I'd check against the tyre sidewall and possibly also on their website for details for the correct pressure range for your weight.

For comparison my schwalbe stelvio 23c will take a range of 80-140psi, but the 700x25c version would only go to 115psi, and some continental 4-season 700x23c will only do to 120psi as well.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    MIsterGoof wrote:
    you may be just putting air into the pump tube.

Before attaching the pump press the valve in and let some air out, the valves do get sticky.

what he said plus make sure the pump head is pushed right down on the valve so that it pushes the pin in and opens the airway. My track pump is really stiff if I haven't attached the head properly.

[WARNING: this thread entails dangerous opportunities for any Viz / Kenneth Williams / Terry Wogan's Janet and John fans. :roll:]

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• When the pressure rises to around 100psi, you need to get your weight behind that ol' handle! :wink:
  • When the pressure rises to around 100psi, you need to get your weight behind that ol' handle! :wink:

I might weight a little bit more than I want to but I can pump my tyres up :lol: