Are there any decent "secure" QR skewers about?

milkywhite
milkywhite Posts: 534
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
I recently started a day release college course, very kindly funded by work (well, 80% of it), and I want to ride to college rather than make the 30 min walk.

Sadly, the college is frequented by thieving pikey scumbags, so I don't want my wheels and saddle to get robbed.

The seat clamp is easy enough, but are there any QR skewers for the wheels where you can remove the arm of the lever so they can't be loosened, but allowing me to put the lever back on for proper MTBing?

Cheers!

Comments

• At the weekend, I managed to get some skewers which you apply finger tight, and then fasten with a Allen key. Think they were BBB's - were £7. Along with a lock through each wheel and the frame, not much else you can do really. A lot to be said for £20 secondhand bikes with tatty saddles, never have any trouble with it at the train station :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Correction to my pricing in the last post, from me. Found the packaging in the toolbox. £3.95 - Bargain!! Obviously, they will still come off with a tool - but the thief having to do a recce, to fathom out the situation might arouse a bit more attention/move on etc etc.

Bike shed at work (which is on CCTV) was done recently by a crew in a Transit, who seemed to know what they were looking for. C2W must lead to rich pickings.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Couple of good locks always helps - big D lock and a cable lock through the wheels.

Or if leaving the bike in the same place regularly - leave a lock there! Buy a length of chain, and a huge padlock!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I second the hack bike, ideally a really scummy looking (but very light and fast) brakeless fixie...
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    lock up wheels and take skewers with you.
    few people i know have had the skewers nicked and thats it!
  • Cheers y'all. Food for thought.

massive chain left on the railings at college might be the way forward. Don't want to carry a heavy lock with me every week.

I'll probably still get the more secure skewers too and a cable lock for the wheels, so basically everything that you all said!
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The ultimate is the PItLock

These have a "head" to the skewer that has a recessed pattern (lock) and a small patterned key (p) that fits in and allows it to be loosened or tightened.

All you have to do is remember to carry the keyed lock!

Pit

pit_160.jpg

Lock

cm1_160.jpg

PitLock in place

radmontiert1_160.jpg[/img]
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've had a pair of Xlite camlock skewers and had no problems till recently when the front one decided to work loose :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hitchen92
    hitchen92 Posts: 264
    Haha.. Get some chilly oil/something similar the strongest you can find that is quite thick. Get some old SH***Y skewers seat post etc and smother them with the oil. When the thieving bas***d robs ur skewers n seatpost he'l go for a slash and you will hear him scream!