Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

That sticky question again.....tyres.....

beanbagbeanbag Posts: 47
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
I need a little help here!

I've got an 06' Stumpjumper FSR fitted with Specialized Enduro Pro 26 x 2.3 tyres which in all honesty, are a pile of censored .

They provide no grip on corners, mud or gravel and they gunk up too easily.

So I'm in the market for some new rubber. The absolute max size I'd want to go to is 2.3, but ideally 2.2's due to my frame clearance on the Stumpy FSR frame.

The type of terrain I ride is about 70% hard / soft mud, 30% loose gravel / rocks with a lot of roots to deal with.

Any ideas what I should be using? My bro-in-law reckons a pair of Maxxis Swapthings would be perfect, but they're 2.35's so I think they're too big for my bike.

Another choice I've found are the Maxxis Medusa Exception Series which are 2.1's with excellent grip in wet conditions including mud, but I've heard they're not so good in the dry.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BB
2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
203 discs on each end....that's about it.....

2008 Specialized Sirrus

Posts

  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,609
    Panacer Cinders 2.25s are excellent all rounders - very grippy but not fast.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout wrote:
    Panacer Cinders 2.25s are excellent all rounders - very grippy but not fast.

    What about going up mountains? Not hills....mountains!

    I know it's a tall order, but I'd like to have something that won't tire me out before I get to the downhill bits.....
    2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    203 discs on each end....that's about it.....

    2008 Specialized Sirrus
  • simbil1simbil1 Posts: 620
    You could consider mixing your tyres to try and get good downhill grip (front tyre) with good uphill ability (rear tyre).
    I've been looking at tyres for a week now and the range is huge but the choice is a compromise - you need to decide what you can live with i.e. what the tyre won't do.
    I decided I just can't live with a really heavy tyre and that means I will sacrifice some downhill and cornering speed for climbing ability and agility.
    The conti all mountain is looking promising as are some of the kenda's and maxxis.

    For an all mountain tyre that you need to lug up real mountains, I'd be looking at a lightish agressive XC tyre and maybe going fatter and stickier on the front tyre (and be prepared for some back end slippage on the way down :) ).
  • simbil1 wrote:
    You could consider mixing your tyres to try and get good downhill grip (front tyre) with good uphill ability (rear tyre).
    I've been looking at tyres for a week now and the range is huge but the choice is a compromise - you need to decide what you can live with i.e. what the tyre won't do.
    I decided I just can't live with a really heavy tyre and that means I will sacrifice some downhill and cornering speed for climbing ability and agility.
    The conti all mountain is looking promising as are some of the kenda's and maxxis.

    For an all mountain tyre that you need to lug up real mountains, I'd be looking at a lightish agressive XC tyre and maybe going fatter and stickier on the front tyre (and be prepared for some back end slippage on the way down :) ).

    This sounds interesting. Especially so since I've never seen this done before.

    Is anyone doing this and how does it affect the balance of the bike?
    2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    203 discs on each end....that's about it.....

    2008 Specialized Sirrus
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,609
    beanbag wrote:
    passout wrote:
    Panacer Cinders 2.25s are excellent all rounders - very grippy but not fast.

    What about going up mountains? Not hills....mountains!

    I know it's a tall order, but I'd like to have something that won't tire me out before I get to the downhill bits.....

    If you are indeed riding up mountains (not hills) then surely you'll want more grip? I ride in the Lakes and find these perfect - Maxxis High Rollers are also good but they don't come in 2.25s last time I looked. Anyway, they are still faster than swampthings.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,609
    beanbag wrote:
    simbil1 wrote:
    You could consider mixing your tyres to try and get good downhill grip (front tyre) with good uphill ability (rear tyre).
    I've been looking at tyres for a week now and the range is huge but the choice is a compromise - you need to decide what you can live with i.e. what the tyre won't do.
    I decided I just can't live with a really heavy tyre and that means I will sacrifice some downhill and cornering speed for climbing ability and agility.
    The conti all mountain is looking promising as are some of the kenda's and maxxis.

    For an all mountain tyre that you need to lug up real mountains, I'd be looking at a lightish agressive XC tyre and maybe going fatter and stickier on the front tyre (and be prepared for some back end slippage on the way down :) ).

    This sounds interesting. Especially so since I've never seen this done before.

    Is anyone doing this and how does it affect the balance of the bike?

    I always mix mine up. Presently I've got a 2.35 60a Maxxis High Roller up front and a 2.25 cinder folding on the rear. I've no issues with balance and would always want the front tyre to be the last to start slipping anyway.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • .blitz.blitz Posts: 6,588
    beanbag wrote:
    This sounds interesting. Especially so since I've never seen this done before.

    Is anyone doing this and how does it affect the balance of the bike?
    I ran a Schwalbe Racing Ralph on the back and a Nobby Nic on the front all through 'summer'. It was a great combo and worked really well. The grippiest/widest tyre always goes up front because it clears a path for the rear, and losing the front end tends to be more 'final' than loosing the back :wink:
  • I'm using panaracer rampage up front with a razer MX on the back. Really fast (think middle ring cruising to big ring cruising) the 2.3s come up more like a 2.1 or 2.2 and have plenty of grip, other than the occasional slide at the back end.
  • I'd recommend Conti Mountain Kings (Protection).

    Light, fast rolling and good all round grip with the Black Chilli compound - great all rounder!

    :D
  • I've just got back into biking after 13 years off and went for a 2.3 Pana Rampage front and 2.2 Shwalbe Albert rear. This combo worked well but felt very sluggish.

    Now I've switched back to what I used to run years ago....Panaracer Smoke 2.1 (used to run a lite) on the rear and an Onza Pocupine 2.1 up front. I thought this was an awesome combo back then and still do, loads of grip and fast too.

    The only downside I can think of with the Porcs is the pitiful wear rate even up front, but you can bag two kevlar ones on the bay for £21 delivered so I can live with that. In fact I think I'll stock up on a few more before they're impossible to find. :)
  • I like my new set up, a 2.35 maxxis high roller (comes up as small as a 2.1) and a 2.1 (comes up as small as a 1.9) on the rear. plenty of grip up front and not too heavy at the back.
    You are what you drink, and i'm a bitter man
  • robertpbrobertpb Posts: 1,866
    My Commencal came with a Maxxis 2.35 Highroller 60a up front and a 2.1 Highroller 70a out back. The 2.1 was not very good because it's hard and has only 3mm of tread when new, whereas the 2.35's have 5mm in the centre and 6mm on the edge.

    I replaced it with a Maxxis DH Minion rear 60a, this is a much better tyre. I've tried it on about every surface there is and I've never been let down.

    The only change I'm contemplating for the winter is to put a 2.5 DH Minion 42a single ply on the front for a bit more grip.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Stu 74Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Your bro in law is right - Swampthings are great all round tyres. Go for a 2.35" single ply super tacky (softer grippier compound) up front, its more like a 2.1" really so should fit your bike no problem. I am running a 2.5" (which is more like a 2.35"). Both sizes grip like [email protected] to a blanket but I prefer the extra cushioning that the wider 2.5" tyre gives.

    I would consider the harder compound 'Maxxpro' High Roller for the back to give you a bit of extra straight line speed.

    Stu
  • Ive got the Maxxis Minion DH 2.35 Dual Ply Super Tacky 42a on the front and Minion DH 2.35 Dual Ply MaxxPro 60a on the rear of my Commencal Meta 666 and they ride great.
    Cube Sting SCR (custom build)
    Spesh allez (factory build)
  • I sometimes run a Bontrager 2.2 Jones ACX front and 1.8 Mud X rear. Good grip in the mud and fast rolling in the dry.

    Also sometimes run Bontrager 2.35 Big Earl front and 2.2 Jones ACX rear for more in the air, landing in rock garden type rides.

    Those 3 tyres have seen me safely down all conditions of trails.

    Today I bought a 2nd Big Earl 'cos I've torn the sidewall of the ACX.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • beanbagbeanbag Posts: 47
    Morning chaps.....I looked at this for about 12 hours after I posted and didn't think I'd get more replies.....I guessed you all proved me wrong!

    So, cheers for all the input. I'm really interested in this "mixing tyre" thing, so I've actually gone and bought 1 Maxxis Swapthing 2.35 for the front and a pair of Kenda Tomac Nevegal Stick E 26x2.1's.

    I read some great stuff about the Kenda's, especially with their ability to handle roots and mud brilliantly without being too sluggish. I've also read they're pretty reasonable in dry weather too.

    What do you all reckon with this combination?

    I just have to wait for Wiggle to deliver them to Austria where I live so it could be a couple of weeks before I get them. (Cycle gear in Austria is bloody expensive).

    Cheers for the input guys!

    BB
    2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    203 discs on each end....that's about it.....

    2008 Specialized Sirrus
  • Stu 74Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Well you know that I think the swampthing is a great front tyre! Did you go for the 'super tacky' compound?

    The Nevegals are also great tyres and should work well on the back. If it is the Stick E compound that you are getting as opposed to the Dual Tread Compound (Hard compound in the middle with Stick E on the sides) you might find that this slows you down a little but you will have very good grip!

    Stu
Sign In or Register to comment.