So, you've got the bike... what else is a necessity?

jon_e00
jon_e00 Posts: 64
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I'm pretty close to buying my first bike and can't wait to get out on the road.
What in your opinion are the vital pieces of equipment a beginner should need when starting out? The bike I am looking at comes with spd pedals so I assume shoes are the first on the list or should I be thinking of changing the pedals?
Thanks in advance :lol:

Comments

• Shoes and cycling shorts first on the list. Stiff road specific shoes do make a big difference and your arse will be glad of the insert in the shorts.

For the time being you can cycle in normal sports clothing, tracky tops etc

Pedal type is down to personal preference, but I would recommend the Shimano 'Look' style pedals. The cleat design is far better then Looks.
  • OH - and I forgot a helmet :roll:
  • shoes
    proper shorts
    gloves
    glasses
    pump
    multitool.
  • Proper cycling shorts (might want something longer and warmer now) a helmet, gloves (good wind proof pair as I found out last winter that cold hands dont move as quickly to the brakes as warm ones do :shock: , glasses (keeps insects or rain out of your eyes depending on time of year) a base layer and a windproof jacket. Thats enough for a few local rides. Then there are the tools and spares you will need :lol: . I would get a pair of cheap flat pedals until you are confident of going clipless with your spd's.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    After you've sourced a helmet, I'd recommend some bib tights, and going by the weather, I'd get some with the wind resistant fronts, 'cos your dick will freeze, mate, believe me.
    Or am I doing something wrong?
    I got normal bib tights, been wearing them for most of my rides, and even in the 'Summer', I still suffered with cold wotsits! :oops: Nasty!
    Depending on the routes you are likely to follow, if there's not many junctions, etc, get clipless shoes straight off the bat. Practice when supporting yourself (use a wall) first, back off the tension to make things easy, then go out in them. Keep an eye on the road ahead, to try to pre-empt any urgent releases!
    You need to dress warm, now, but you need cycling specific gear, to be comfortable.
    Go to your LBS, have a look at whats on the hangers now, you'll soon see what you need.
    Unfortunately, most things on the sale rails will be sumer gear, so not much use to you now.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1
    After you've sourced a helmet, I'd recommend some bib tights, and going by the weather, I'd get some with the wind resistant fronts, 'cos your dick will freeze, mate, believe me.
    Or am I doing something wrong?
    I got normal bib tights, been wearing them for most of my rides, and even in the 'Summer', I still suffered with cold wotsits! :oops: Nasty!
    Depending on the routes you are likely to follow, if there's not many junctions, etc, get clipless shoes straight off the bat. Practice when supporting yourself (use a wall) first, back off the tension to make things easy, then go out in them. Keep an eye on the road ahead, to try to pre-empt any urgent releases!
    You need to dress warm, now, but you need cycling specific gear, to be comfortable.
    Go to your LBS, have a look at whats on the hangers now, you'll soon see what you need.
    Unfortunately, most things on the sale rails will be summer gear, so not much use to you now.
  • essential
    padded shorts
    helmet
    saddle bag to put things in
    puncture repair kit
    multi tool
    mini pump / co2
    nice to have
    Cycling shoes and clip in pedals
    cycling specific padded gloves
    lights (essential if riding in dusk /dark)
    track pump (so you can put the correct pressure into your tyres)
  • thanks for all the ideas/tips.
    I'll have to get shopping!
    If any of you recommend specific gear could you possibly post a link to an exact item from an online store? Would save me traulling various sites!
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    a life raft & a paddle? wasnt summer fun?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Start at Wiggle.com and work outwards. They have everything but you might want to check a few of their prices, although usually I find them competitive.

Couple of non-online purchase (apart from helmet and shoes which you will want to try on):
    - track pump. Joe Blow from Halfords, £30. Getting higher pressures makes a real difference to the rolling resistance of your tyres and you will go faster. Just try out the difference between tyres at 70psi (average good hand pump pressure) and tyres at 110-120 psi (from a track pump). you'll think you're on a different bike.
    - saddlebag: Topeak wedge from Halfords. Fits snugly under the saddle and carries all the bits you will need; they even do one with tools and repair kit already inside.

And finally, cycling shirts: forget the £40 for a new one and go to eBay: there are several good "pre-loved" shirt suppliers (convicts of the road, cycling tops uk......): make sure you measure yourself first and buy a snug fit: I've bought 6 online and they've all been exactly as described. Also, they're usually unique: you'll never see anyone wearing one like yours.
    Winter warhorse: Giant Peloton 8400 ('99 vintage)
    Couldn't resist: Spez. Singlecross Fixie ('08)
    Summer cool: Custom Rourke, Deda 16.5 ('08)
  • For me, the only 'essentials' are a pump and puncture repair kit. The rest make the whole experience more pleasant, or safer, or improve your performance. But I rode for a couple of years before getting most of the gubbins that I now think is essential...
  • Everytime I log onto a cycling website I find something else that is essential... :roll:
    If I ever get made bankrupt I'm going to blame the 'net.

If you want to save yourself some time/heartache Jon_e00 then see if your bike supplier will put some tyres with good puncture protection on for you. They tend to stick on 'race' tyres, this time of year you would be better off with something studier like Gator Skins.

I'd add a spare tube to the 'essentials' list, it's no fun trying to repair a puncture in the cold/wet.
    Is it raining yet?
  • For me, the only 'essentials' are a pump and puncture repair kit. The rest make the whole experience more pleasant, or safer, or improve your performance. But I rode for a couple of years before getting most of the gubbins that I now think is essential...

Do you recommend a particular pump and puncture kit?
  • PhilipTom wrote:
    Start at Wiggle.com and work outwards. They have everything but you might want to check a few of their prices, although usually I find them competitive.

Couple of non-online purchase (apart from helmet and shoes which you will want to try on):
    - track pump. Joe Blow from Halfords, £30. Getting higher pressures makes a real difference to the rolling resistance of your tyres and you will go faster. Just try out the difference between tyres at 70psi (average good hand pump pressure) and tyres at 110-120 psi (from a track pump). you'll think you're on a different bike.
    - saddlebag: Topeak wedge from Halfords. Fits snugly under the saddle and carries all the bits you will need; they even do one with tools and repair kit already inside.

Have you got the link to the saddle bag with tools and repairs inside? Thanks for all the advise, great help.
  • jon_e00 wrote:
    For me, the only 'essentials' are a pump and puncture repair kit. The rest make the whole experience more pleasant, or safer, or improve your performance. But I rode for a couple of years before getting most of the gubbins that I now think is essential...

Do you recommend a particular pump and puncture kit?

No - all puncture repair kits are pretty much the same, so just go with the cheapest (£1.99?). As to the pump, well, that's another can of worms, but almost any pump will do. Mini pumps are smaller and easier to carry, track pumps give you great pressure but should be left at home. The Topeak Road Morph seems to get most people's vote as a good compromise between these two, but they're pricey. If you want to keep costs down, just get a bog standard pump and don't fret about getting the pressure to eye bulgingly high psis
  • For the tool bag see the Halfords website under Topeak dirt bag: looking at it again, it may be a bit too much for a beginner. You might want to just get a Topeak wedge (I use a small size) and put a cut down puncture repair kit and a couple of spare tubes in it. That should be more than enough.
    Winter warhorse: Giant Peloton 8400 ('99 vintage)
    Couldn't resist: Spez. Singlecross Fixie ('08)
    Summer cool: Custom Rourke, Deda 16.5 ('08)
  • jon_e00 wrote:
    What in your opinion are the vital pieces of equipment a beginner should need when starting out? l:

Lots of patience, wet weather gear, high tolerance to pain, huge bank balance connected directly to local bike shop (LBS), understanding wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/children, have shares in LBS (if you haven't, you will have), develope huge taste for PSP/Torque/Rego et.al.

.....and if you're really stupid you'll take up triathlon :roll:

Soaking Wet- North Wales
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • MIsterGoof wrote:
    essential
    padded shorts
    helmet
    saddle bag to put things in
    puncture repair kit
    multi tool
    mini pump / co2
    nice to have
    Cycling shoes and clip in pedals
    cycling specific padded gloves
    lights (essential if riding in dusk /dark)
    track pump (so you can put the correct pressure into your tyres)

I'd add glasses to the essentials - not megabucks pose-value Oakleys or anything like that, just some well-made, reliable ones (preferably with interchangable lenses for different weather, e.g. Madison D'Arcs) to keep spray, grit, insects and the sun out of your eyes. Oh, and for venturing further afield, a water bottle and cage fit into the 'nice to have' section; better than having to spend a fortune on soft drinks from filling stations or shops along the way.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • thanks for all the tips guys.

pretty much got my shopping list sorted now. Helmet, saddle bag, repair kit/tools, pump, padded shorts/tights and lights to begin with. Also wouldn't mind a computer.
  • Sidi
    Sidi Posts: 21
    Best thing I bought was a giant tub of Sudacrem, deffinitely should go on the essentials list in my oppinion :? :|
    Trek 1.7 08

Unshaved newbie roadie
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Gotta have a computer if you're a nerd like me! :D
    hopper1 wrote:

I never actually thought about this. I've been getting all this gear ready for winter. Gloves, arm warmers, gilet, race cape, skull cap, etc....

Not once did I click that my tackle was likely to freeze in just a pair of bibshorts. I cant believe I overlooked that!
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    Water bottle cage and a water bottle. (two of each for longer rides)
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • Powertap hub, wko+ software, turbo trainer and try and keep a sense of perspective.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Get some mudguards or at least Race Blades otherwise you, your nice new gear and shiny new bike are going to get covered in sh1t pretty quickly.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • hopper1
    N4PALM wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

I never actually thought about this. I've been getting all this gear ready for winter. Gloves, arm warmers, gilet, race cape, skull cap, etc....

Not once did I click that my tackle was likely to freeze in just a pair of bibshorts. I cant believe I overlooked that!
    You wont over look it for long!! :shock: :shock: :oops: