0 - 60 MPH or MPG equivalent for a bike??

rpeevor
rpeevor Posts: 14
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Just wondering if I could pick the extensive forum brain?

I am looking to buy a new road bike for training and moving through short and long course triathlon. As I live in S Wales and there are a few hills around and with my desire for long course races I am looking for a road bike rather than a tri specific bike.

I would value opinions as to whether to spend £400, £600 or £1000?? I have done so much research on these bikes reading all the reviews etc but the reviews are really just "feel" reviews rather than any hard stats about performance.. they quote all the measurements and weights under the sun but never any performance markers..

You would think in this age you could test a bike on a rolling road applying a certain force to it to get some extra performance data for a given input as well as the all important feel data??

I dont know whether to go for the cheaper bike as I am not up to the standard to get a 100% out of a bike or whether to go for a more expensive bike to get as much help as possible!!

All help much appreciated!

Richard

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I personally believe it is you & not the bike that'll make the biggest difference.

Try riding bikes in each price bracket & see for yourself how much different they feel.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    If you are a beginer i dont think you will notice much difference with a £600,£800 or£1000 bike it all depends on the engine doing the pedaling. :D
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    If you are a beginer i dont think you will notice much difference with a £600,£800 or£1000 bike it all depends on the engine doing the pedaling. :D
  • rpeevor wrote:
    You would think in this age you could test a bike on a rolling road applying a certain force to it to get some extra performance data for a given input as well as the all important feel data??

I know what you mean, but if you think about having the bike on a rolling road and trying to do an objective test, it would be incredibly difficult to get any kind of stats from them. After all, the speed at which the wheel turns will be down to the groupset, wheels, and bottom bracket, which are often common for a number of bikes. And a robot can't really measure the frame in any meaningful way, can it?

I'd be interested to hear what others say, and I'd love there to be some objective way of testing bikes, but I don't think there is. As to your conundrum, I'd tend to go for a cheaper bike, try it, ride it, enjoy it: I don't think as a beginner you'd really notice much difference between the £500 bike and the £1k one. If you develop a love for the sport, then sell it on and buy the £1k one, when you'll probably appreciate the subtle differences more...
  • Well basically you will get what you pay for :D
    If I was a total beginner I would pay about £500 as higher amounts are too much to pay only to find out a year down the line its not for you and you sell bike for 50% on ebay!!
    If you more advanced and comitted to at least a couple of years cycling then I would go to £1k where you can get a very decent bike and if you go second hand and know what your looking for can get even better.
    From £1k to £6k it is more of personal choice and bling factor so not convinced you would notice the benefit.
    I have bikes in all ranges and to be honest it is your legs that count.
    If I am not feeling particularly good I know for a fact it does not matter if I am on my £5k Pinarello I will go no faster than a good day on my 23 yearold 531 bike :D
    Not sure if this is of any help :D
  • The best bike is the one that fits you properly, irrespective of the cost.
    It will handle better as a result and you will perform better on it as a result.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    rpeevor wrote:
    I dont know whether to go for the cheaper bike as I am not up to the standard to get a 100% out of a bike or whether to go for a more expensive bike to get as much help as possible!!
    You could buy a £3,000 bike and only ever go for a slow pootle on a Sunday, but if that bike makes you happy then so be it. Or you could get a secondhand nail and show the local club regulars how it's done... Cycling is primarily about turning the pedals, and that means all the power comes from you. Tyres, wheels, gears etc are very much secondary to that and make a tiny difference to real world performance (though the marketing people don't really want you to think that way).

As others have said, the bike that fits you best - and in my opinion the one you like best - is the one for you. That's why so often the recommendation is to try a few out - no-one can know your exact requirements anywhere near as well as you. That includes the colour.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    sorry, double post.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.