8-speed to 9-speed

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've busted the RH shifter on my old Nail Trail and I was thinking that this would be a good time to upgrade the drivetrain to 9-speed.

What's the minimum I need ? Obv. shifter, cassette and chain but is there anything else ? Cheers

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    might want to get a shiny new crankset as well so the wear will be even (deore for £40 including BB??)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the crankset rings are true 8spd then they will need changing, most over the last few years have been 9spd as fitted.

you may benefit changing the jockey wheels.

but go with what you have listed and it will work (new cable of cause) and keep to the same "brand" as the rear mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    nicklouse wrote:
    if the crankset rings are true 8spd then they will need changing, most over the last few years have been 9spd as fitted.
    Ah, I didn't realise the chain rings would be different. Are the 9-speed rings narrower ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep as the chain is thinner due to thinner cogs at the rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    Thanks for that