How do you know when the brake pads need changing?

xgeek
xgeek Posts: 117
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Feel a bit stupid asking this but I did a search and could not find an answer.

I have got a new bike and they have Avid Juicy 3 brakes on them (I have never had disc brakes before). I was having a read of the manual and I can't see anyway of checking pad wear.

Is it as simple as "you just know" or is there a little marker on the caliper I need to look at. As the bike is only 2 days old I am not expecting to change the pads anytime soon but I thought I would ask now.

Many thanks in advance.

XG

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    id say its as simple as just taking the pad out and looking at it :lol:

takes 30 seconds to take the pads out and out them back in.

OR

if you dont wanna do that, get your best squinting eyes out and look down through the caliper at the pads.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I always have a quick look whilst the wheels are off before and after a ride.

As a rough guide, if you can see the backing plate under the braking compound....you should have changed them earlier! :wink::wink::wink:

I think you just get a feeling for when they need changed.....

I wouldn't start some trails without at least 1mm of backing on each pad.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I tend to find they fail fairly quickly on one nasty ride, i.e. they go from being OK to nothing but back plate. You tend to know then because they make a terrible noise or braking becomes pants or often both.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • xgeek
    Cheers guys for the info. Not a hardcore off road rider so hope mine last a fair bit.
  • I'd get a pair of replacement pads now and keep them in your bag. Pads can wear quickly in muddy and gritty conditions. It sucks having no brakes. Get a spare rear mech hanger while your at it too.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    ^^ defo good advice. I now carry pads and mech hangers for both my main bikes in my camelback as standard.

Mech hangers can be a pig to get hold of when they bust, might as well do all the searching whilst the bike is still running :wink: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    ^^ Agreed, but why the flip are mech hangers £15????

That just sounds irrational to me! :twisted:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • xgeek
    I guess as I am riding an Aggressor XCR (08) from Halfords that they are the only ones that can supply a rear hanger for this bike?