Tyre pressures

ben306
ben306 Posts: 64
edited September 2008 in MTB general
Went down to Llandegla Forest yesterday and on the 1st major downhill section suffered from the tyres slipping alot on the rocks. Finally ruslted in the front slipping out and me eating dirt.

anyhow let plenty out of the tyres and didnt have an issue then. just wondering what tyre pressures people run as I dont fancy having another lie down over something so stupid.

Comments

• shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    I run mine at ~20 psi, seems to work ok.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Depends what im riding. lots of slippy rocks and roots....about 20... lots of dry rocks and roots about 25...riding dry kitty litter trails....about 30.....

Problem with low pressures obviously is the inevitable snake bite.. Its a balancing act.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    30psi if terrain is tricky.
    If it's fast and dry I'll go up to the mid 30s.

I wouldn't go much below thirty unless you have dowhhill (thick) inner tubes or maybe if you go tubless. It can mean more snakebits if you do IMO.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • How do you lot do it? I get snake bites if I go below 40psi :cry:
  • wider tires probably, with my mud cutting tires 40 PSI is the lowest i'll dare and normally i stick to 50 PSI.

but other wider tires can be safely lowered much further.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Well Roger - I ride either 2.25s or 2.35s if that helps. Generally I find 30psi is OK in the 2.35s but there is a higher risk od snakebits. I generally have another 5psi in the 2.25s. I think tyre choice (protection & size) is clearly a related issue though. Light 2.1 XC tyres are more prone to snakebits - at least when rode them.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I love mud and have some old IRC mud mad they are sub 2 inches, apparently 1.95 but blow up somewhat thiner, they are also fairly tall so with lower PSI will squirm terribly.

50 psi seems the sweet spot with them, others wider tires i've used in the past seem happy down to 30psi depending on where one was going.
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    How do you lot do it? I get snake bites if I go below 40psi

Being a featherweight helps! I expect its also the combination of tyres, rims and riding styles.

I run 15-30 PSI

But it doesn't mean anything, everyone prefers different things.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Couple of weeks ago I spent six days around Edale, so plenty of rocks, I had kevlar 2.35's with 24 out back and 22 up front.

Not a single puncture, came home rode around Thorndon hey presto a puncture from hawthorn.

This from my point of view is the biggest culprit, in all the years I've been riding only once have I had a pinch puncture but I've had hundreds from hawthorn.

It gets even worse when the flail mowers have been about.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Milkie wrote:
    How do you lot do it? I get snake bites if I go below 40psi

Being a featherweight helps! I expect its also the combination of tyres, rims and riding styles.

I run 15-30 PSI

But it doesn't mean anything, everyone prefers different things.

I'm only 10 stone. 15psi, that would feel flat to me. Does it not feel really slow?
    I was planning on going from 2.1 to 2.2-2.35 next time round. Just not sure what to get that will be as good an all round tyre as the XC fire Pro's.
  • I run mine at 100. :lol: