chain masterlinks

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited September 2008 in Workshop
Are chain master links worth the effort? I find them near impossible to remove, yesterday I could not put one on. Tried to ride the bike to force the link to clip in and the chain fell off in the dust. They seem just a nuissance. Isn't just using a chain splitter better, for splitting and reconnecting a chain?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Hmm, I find master links far easier to use. Just practice I guess, when I first started using them I found them hard to get off (but not on - getting them on is pretty easy)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i use links, yes they can be a pain to remove and there is a knack to opening them but when mastered it is easy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    links are the way forward, for sure.

I suspect you need to have a look at your technique. Getting them off is, most of the time, pretty straightforward using a pair of pliers (just squeeze in the right place) and getting them on is a doddle.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I use the KMC S10 links and they are very easy to use.

What links did you have/?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I find KMC ones far easier to remove than SRAM ones. Very easy, and definitely preferable to Shimano pins. I always carry a spare and a chain tool.
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    You need to take the tension out of the chain when using master links.
    A 25cm section of an old metal coat hanger should do the trick.
    Simply bend into sort of 'C' shape & place into a chain link about 2 or 3 links from the master link; then repeat at the other side of the master link. The master link should then not be under tension & can be easily pressed together for removal.
    Alternatively carefully drop the chain off the inner most chainring.
    Incidentally I used the above method when assembing/disasembling chains without a master link.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Thinking about it, I was connecting quite a thick heavy chain for a five speed bike, and the masterlink might have been for a 7-9 speed.