Supportive MTB Suited Shoes/Trainers?

ScottAspect45
ScottAspect45 Posts: 158
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
So, I've got pretty weak ankles after two football related injuries and yesterday I rolled over on my left ankle (again) after coming off the bike. I'm currently using some old reef skate shoes, but I was just wondering if there were any mtb specific shoes/trainers (non-spd) that would support my ankles better? Obviously the skate shoes provide pretty much no support in that respect.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I think 5-10s do a high ankle version, and they seem to be the shoes that everyone recommends for flat pedals.
    Chain Reaction Cycles do them if I remember rightly but I couldn't vouch for their stability, I have to wear a pair of special ankle supports when I do sports as I've got a tendency to dislocate my ankles quite easily so I know how you feel.
  • Thanks for that. You're right, the 5-10s seem to come highly rated and the Five Ten Impact 2 Hi looks like my best bet. Bit more expensive than I was hoping for, but cant put a price on your ankles!
  • I've got 5-10's the Sam Hill ones and they are really comfy, stiff but not too stiff. They are low ones but they do do the high top boot ones which would give more support. Proper bike shoes will be far better than skate shoes for foot support anyway - If I ride my bike with normal trainers I tend to get pain in my arches and the pedal pins dig in too much. So, in my opinion, it's well worth getting proper bike shoes, 5-10's are great and the high top ones may be better for your ankles. :D
  • I would get some dedicated ankle strapping for the support as the amount that you would get from a shoe would never bee that great. I would also say get some physio for the ankles.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Following this up for anyone who might be interested, I have found 661 make a race brace, which is a slimline hard shell ankle support. Seems just the job! Had a look at the Five Ten Hi, but they only seemed to pad the ankle, rather than protect it from rolling.