Best Car Rack

Paulq
Paulq Posts: 58
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Had a bit of an 'experience' with my hatchback mounted rack today in that the rubber pieces in the clips that protect the car from being scratched came away whilst on the motorway and subsequently knocked against the back of the car for the remainder of the journey. Result is a lot of damaged paintwork to the tune of £150 as a repair bill. :(

Rack is now in the bin!!

I now need a new, and good quality easy to fit, car rack and would welcome any suggestions/recommendations. At most it needs to take 2 bikes, mainly road but occasionally MTB's too.

All help appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Having struggled with rear and roof mounted racks over the years (and suffered car damage from the rear ones) I think the only way to go is a tow bar mounted one - this pushes the cost up a lot but they are so much easier and safer. I got a Thule Ride-On model for £90, it takes 2 bike (they make a 3 bike version), fits to the tow bar in 1 minute, has electrics and light board built in - just need to buy a number plate, the bikes are very secure and away from the car body work, and only need to be lifted about 50cm. The rack can be tilted when loaded allowing access to the rear hatch if necessary.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not mine but what i use.

img2700vk9.jpg

it has been superseded but this takes 3 bike (4 with an add on)

img2724jq5.jpg

Or in this case just 2 DH rigs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alfablue
    Nicklouse, thats similar in design to the Similar to the Thule Ride-On, though clearly a posher one. Looks great.

The 2 bike Ride-On is available at Leisure Lakes for £81,
    3 bike, £(91.98 at Towequipe

9402%20bike%20carrier.JPG

img16092005153112.jpg
  • nicklouse
    alfablue
    the couple who's rack is in my pics had one of those ride on ones but they were not happy with the movement in the support hoop. Now with road and XC bikes i would not see it as an issue. But they did with the two 18/19kg DH bikes.

when i bought mine it was to be my last bike rack ever... the new car will not take a tow bar!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • alfablue
    Ah, yes, I have only used it with road bikes and XC bikes, and the 2 bike model. For the price with that use it seems good enough. You clearly get what you pay for. What car do you have now?
  • nicklouse
    Well i stil have the Van which the rack get used on (but it will be off the road getting pimped for the next few months)
    the new car is a Suzuki Swift. Sport. Roof mounted bike carriers only.

But i may make my own design carrier utilizing the screw in Towing Eye mount.