what saddle

buzcheva
buzcheva Posts: 19
edited September 2008 in MTB general
hey
I have just finished cycling the leeds liverpool canal over two days and i am in search of a new saddle after being in turmoil for 50pc of the trip with my saddle.

I currently have on a WTB Laser V Team Saddle 2008

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25692

after changing from the painful WTB Silverado Race. Anything over 45-50 miles and it gets really painful.

I am going to get another and was asking for suggestions

Comments

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Is it properly adjusted? My saddle was poorly adjusted and gave me all sorts of trouble on long rides but was fine for shorter trips. I nearly replaced it but a bit of tinkering meant i didn't need to :D
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    If you have the money you can't go wrong with a Brooks England B17
    Steve C
  • I feel your pain! We did the South Downs Way in April and July and i was in agony after only 30 miles both times, and the second time when we actually made the whole route (first attempt was thwarted by snow!) i did most of the second day standing up, which made it twice as knackering :evil:
    Anyway, the answer to your question is nobody can recommend a sadle to you because your ass is completely different to everyone elses, so what works for one person could be a torture device for you. I used to have a Selle Italia Flight, which was comfortable after i spent another £80 on some Gore shorts, but that cracked and was replaced by a Charge Spoon, but i was back to horrendouse saddle sore again, so i started using some shamoi cream similar to the Asos stuff, which seems to be working really well. Before you go changing saddles again i would recommend giving that a go first, might be a bit cheaper :)
  • assos stuff? cheaper? you're having a laugh!

For saddles, the best place to start is a charge spoon, £20, so it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't agree with you. Then it is a case of finding what works for you.

Other popular saddles are the SDG bell air, Fizik Gobi, and the ubiquitous brooks!
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I'd second the spoon, had a SDG Bel air before but I find the spoon more comfortable, as said before it's very subjective
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • if you are in leeds head over to chevin cycles and get your bum mesured. they will see the spaceing for your sit bones and then tell you the width of saddle that you need.
    so rather spending £20 on 3 saddles that dont fit and are sore in the long run you can spend £60 on a saddle that fits like a glove ( if a £20 saddle fits like a glove go for it ) Its all about getting the right size. IM a 143mm size bum. :shock:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • assos stuff? cheaper? you're having a laugh!

For saddles, the best place to start is a charge spoon, £20, so it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't agree with you. Then it is a case of finding what works for you.

Other popular saddles are the SDG bell air, Fizik Gobi, and the ubiquitous brooks!
    The stuff i use is called Ozone Lite protect cream chamois, and cost £10 for a 150mm tube. Done about 5 rides and still over half the tube left, and i only use it on long distance rides over 20miles. Seems to work a treat with the Spoon saddle so far, rode about 50miles last weekend with no problems at all. Unless you are very lucky and find the "perfect" saddle right away, trying the butt crack cream first will be a lot cheaper!
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Charge Spoon for me, highly rated and I can see why. It just works (and looks fairly good). Coupled with some normal padded shorts and Im good for several hours.

Can I ask if you are a regular cyclist? - If you're not in saddle too often your backside and attributing muscles do take time to adjust.

Many people believe bigger saddles are more comfy, but in my experience theyre not.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Bmjboy wrote:
    Many people believe bigger saddles are more comfy, but in my experience theyre not.

I totally agree with that. Almost no padding and a flexible shell is so much better IMO
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    some might scoff, but I really rate the specialized body geometry saddles. The first one came with a new bike and I liked it so much that when i trashed it during an upside down incident, I just bought another one.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    If you like the WTB saddles but are not sure of which model to get - I can recommend the Pure V ( chainreaction for £20). However, this is a very individual preference so I'm not saying it will suit everyone. Where possible you should try before you buy - borrow a saddle for a day from your mates and see how you feel and as always, make sure it is adjusted correctly as even a couple of mm's can make a huge difference.

Have fun trying.

• I like my Charge Spoon also.

I don't like my Fizik Gobi as much.

Everyone's bums and favoured position on the bike are different though.

Best to have a shot of as many as possible before spending your money.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe