Crank lengths

nevets84
nevets84 Posts: 39
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
As the title suggests, how do i know which length cranks to buy. I'm looking at Shimano XT770's on a Santa Cruz Heckler. Thanks

Comments

• 175mm cranks are good for most people, the differences are minimal and you only really need shorter if the bike has a really low bb (esp at full compresssion), or you have really short legs, or you have knee issues so prefer a bit less flex and the top.

Basically if you don't have any issues with the old ones, buy 175mm!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As you did not say what your inside leg measurement is there isn't a way of giving you the correct answer.

My cranks are 170 mm which is about as far as I can go, if I used 175mm my knees would suffer in the long term. It's all to do do with the longer the cranks the shorter the legs the more flexing on the knees.

Always ask a teenager as they know it all
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    On MTB's 99% of the population use the standard 175mm cranks.

there is a formula for working it all out in the tech links sticky, but it is more road based and not that relevant to XC or any other general MTB usage unless you are a pro XC er.

for referance i use cranks from 175,170 and 165mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Hmm I'd be carteful; here - I'm 170cm and feel far far more comfortable with 170mm cranks on both MTB and road bikes!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Konahed
    Konahed Posts: 100
    Get the same length you're used to. Unless you have knee problems or whatever. I would say though if you're about 5ft8 or less 170mm may be the way to go.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    5'9" here and i find 170mm much better on the ol knees.