Drivetrain Problems / anger management !

bertypreston
bertypreston Posts: 158
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone advise ?

I have been having alot of trouble with my gears for the last 6 months !

Symptoms

The chain wont stay where its told especially on bumpy trails, it always shifts back to middle or small ring if i back pedal ,shifting at the front especially to the big ring is awfull. Its so unreliable that i often cant react in time to trial conditions and i dont have any confidence in it when i need to power out . which in short is ruining most of my rides.

I was certain that buying a new XT front mech would sort it and i had it fitted at my local bike shop, i explained to the shop the above problems. They fitted it but when i colleced it it was exactly the same (struggled shifting to big and drops back off big) with the shiny new mech !

i told them this and the chap said that it was cos i was putting to much pressure on the pedals whilst changing and going too slow to change into big ring anyway, which sounded like b*ll*cks. took it home and rode it for a week, didnt get any better, took it back explained and left it with them.

just picked it up again yesterday and it seemed much better in the car park, however just got back from another ruined ride at cannock, all the gremlins are back.

im at my wits end with the bike and the bike shop, who cant seem to sort it either (not going there again)

having already changed the mech, my new suspects are :

crankset - truative ? 2 years old came with the bike (giant xtc se 06) could this be worn out?

chain length - SRAM £20 ish cant remember model but its one with the easy fit link -fitted this my self !!! measured it againt the old one (shimano H?) and removed links to it was the same length. could this be too long or short ?

rear cassette - had a new rear cassette with new wheel but the biggest ring (and therefore the others) are smaller than the old one (which i still have) - is this causing probs ?

shifter - original (2 years old) deore rapid fire - could this be worn out.

thanks for reading all that, i'd really appreciate some advice as im dangerously close to chucking the bike off a bridge ! and reaching for my credit card for a massive splurge.

Rob

Comments