Bike Pump

Tony666
Tony666 Posts: 274
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
There are probably other posts on this somewhere but I thought I'd ask again though. Can anyone recommend a pump that attaches to a bike frame that is able to get to arouns 120psi?

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Topeak Road morph is popular choice.
    Depends if you want a proper pump, or a lightweight, mini thing.

I'm hanging on for the new Lezyne Road Drive and bottle mount.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I second the Topeak Road Morph. It will pump to 120. Most of those "mini" pumps and "frame" pumps might get 90 or 100 if you have arms like Arnold. Not that they won't
    "get you home" but if you want to pump up your tire to a decent pressure then the Morph is a good pick.

Dennis Noward
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Scrumple wrote:
    Topeak Road morph is popular choice.
    Depends if you want a proper pump, or a lightweight, mini thing.

I'm hanging on for the new Lezyne Road Drive and bottle mount.
    I haven`t seen that one before,it`s not on their website but according to CRC it`s in stock.I just bought a Leyzne for my mountain bike and it`s good so i`ll get one of them too.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    Before you use a hand pump very briefly open the valve to break the seal and let a little air out of the tyre, it makes pumping up a lot easier. :wink:

...........that's using the Lezyne road pump too.
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I've just ordered a Topeak Master Blaster Pocket Micro CB.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=topeak+master+blaster+pocket&x=14&y=6

I cant say how well it works but it claims 160PSI. That might take 10 minutes to get to that pressure but that will get you home. Best of all, and the selling point for me was the size of it. That'll sit next to a bottle cage and be almost invisible or just carry it in a jersey pocket.
  • antfly
    I guarantee you won`t get anywhere near 160psi and it will be awfully slow and tiring in not getting there.They actually claim 120 not 160 but you won`t get anywhere near that either.CO2 is the answer,takes about 5 seconds to get to 100 psi.It`s a no-brainer.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Not when you start to take cost into account. Or when you run out of CO2 canisters.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    It was actually this one (and its AL counterpart) I meant to link to, they do clain 160psi.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11313

I dont care if it only hits 100psi and it takes me 15 minutes! That will get me home and it wont cost me anything in C02 and I will never run out of canisters. I'll just have to convince the air to come into my tubes the old fashioned way! And thats the way it should be!
  • richard36
    richard36 Posts: 346
    I'm also after a pump to fit onto my bike. I've read a number of good reviews about the Zefal HPX. Would anyone here recommend it?

Presumably whichever pump I go for will it work equally well pumping up my MTB tyres? I know it might sound a daft question but I've noticed that a number of pumps have got the word 'road' in their name and wondered whether they were specifically for road bikes.

Thanks

Richard
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Lezyn ... 360034752/

These are great, the fexible hose is so much easier to use than those that you push on.

Works fine for MBT or road and sits next to the bottle cage. Nice piece of kit.
    Is it raining yet?
  • antfly
    N4PALM wrote:
    It was actually this one (and its AL counterpart) I meant to link to, they do clain 160psi.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11313

I dont care if it only hits 100psi and it takes me 15 minutes! That will get me home and it wont cost me anything in C02 and I will never run out of canisters. I'll just have to convince the air to come into my tubes the old fashioned way! And thats the way it should be!
    I bet you won`t be saying that if you actually have to use it and your arms are knackered and you`ve got about 80psi in.You can get co2 cannisters about 50p each,worth every penny.
    I also have a leyzne which is probably the best mini pump,I can get to 90psi in a couple of minutes.Any mini pump that claims much more than that should be treated with scepticism.
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    The Shiny wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Lezyne_Pressure_Drive_Mini_Pump_Small/5360034752/

These are great, the fexible hose is so much easier to use than those that you push on.

Works fine for MBT or road and sits next to the bottle cage. Nice piece of kit.

+1

great bit of kit, pumps well and is tiny when fitted to the bottle mounts
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    +2

Wondering how the new Road Drive will improve on it. No specs yet.
  • I've got one of those wee Topeak Pocket Rocket things and it's got me home fine on a couple of occasions. The size helps because I can stick it in a pocket whichever bike I'm on, meaning I'm never without it on the road.