Which lady's traditional-style bicycle for general use?

gjm
gjm Posts: 101
We're trying to find a bike for my wife, a problem complicated by a lower back problem ruling out anything that could be considered sporty.

In a perfect world we'd probably go for a Pashley Sonnet Bliss, or a Fahrrad Manufaktur S200 Comfort. Comfort is the keyword...

Wish list (in no particular order unless otherwise stated): 5-speed hub gears (3/5/7/8 speed are all acceptable, but 5 seems a good compromise), hub brakes (and maybe dynamo), sit-up-and-beg riding position, step-thru frame (essential)... The two downsides to the Pashley are price and weight. Frame will need to be approx 20".

We've looked at the Raleigh Caprice and Elegance, but I (being a bona fide bike snob :wink: ) was unimpressed by the build quality. How about a Kona Africa Bike? Does anyone have any experience of these?

Secondhand not a problem! Even preferred...

I suspect this may be asking a lot - a lightweight, comfortable, tradional-style ladies bike... Any advice, insight, experience will be welcomed!

TIA.

Comments

• Would a Batavus bike do (or any other Dutch type bikes)?

http://www.dutchbikeshop.co.uk/index.htm

Suitability depending the distance and hilly or flat.
    You can't call most of them lightweight but you have a very straight up position which helps if you have lower back problems.
  • Koga do a variety of step through framed bikes starting at around £1000
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • eddys
    eddys Posts: 66
    I bought my wife an Electra Townie Balloon. It's got a touch of traditional style about it but is very easy to ride and the riding position is super easy on the back. They (Electra) call if "Flat Foot Technology", basically as a throwback from the cruiser origins, the feet are further forward than usual so the rider can get both feet firmly on the ground when stationary. I'm not sure how it would be for all day in the saddle but for a few hours here and there, she loves it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28346

The brief for my wife was it had to be super user friendly and go with her outfits!!